Is there any difference...?

vhawk

.................between saving a restore point and exporting the registry to a safe location?

to you clever, knowledgeable chaps probably a stupid question, but I understand less than nothing about computers -I'm just amazed that they work at all, but don't have the faintest idea how they do it.

I had the, probably fool, idea, that if everything seemed to be working well, I might export the registry, whatever that involves to a file on another hard drive, is that tantamount to saving a restore point? or is it different in some way? which is best?
thanks in advance if you can educate this *****, me.

That procedure is no different to the traditional method of 'cloning' a hard drive. By either method you are able to restore the OS to an earlier (AND WORKING) condition. Cloning is far more often used, which is down to there being many ready-made applications designed to do just that, some even free for personal use.

The other advantage (among several) of cloning is it defends against loss of all your other routine data, in the event of complete or partial HDD failure. So yes, your method would work (provided you knew exactly what files to save, and for XP for example, the 'registry' actually consists of at least six files.

Here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 is a MS desciption of the process required to do just as you are suggesting - note there is a built-in app in windows to create a restore point (a registry copy in fact).

thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to reply to what must have seemed a foolish question, I'm afraid terms like cloning rather confuse me, may i take it that in short setting a restore point and exporting the registry come to the same thing, and or one is as broad as the other is long? would it be cheeky to ask what the said ready made applications are called?

A Restore Point is more than just a registry copy - - it includes all current drivers.

It does NOT include the system files (eg *.dll) from \windows\system32) however and
thus may be inconsistent under strange sequences of install, uninstall.

Therefore, a full system image (ie: clone) would be a 'complete solution'

thanks I'm not sure what all those things are, how would i do a system clone?is it something a dolt like me could do?

I'm not sure what sort of answer you need when Google of particular words plus following a link already provided should be enough. Some useful words to follow up would be 'disk cloning' or 'disk image'

thanks, is there a freebie that an ignoramus could use that you could recommend? bear in mind I'm a computer dolt and can only do the simplest and clearest of things, i almost said *****, but if you look up the etymology, an ***** as a fine thing to be.

You must realise that you are sitting in front of your PC and can see what it is doing. We on this site cannot do that. Therefore there is no more we can do other than point you in directions where you can learn enough for yourself to tackle the simpler things.

The reponsibility is entirely yours, and if you really need as much hand-holding as you seem to think you do, the safest advice I can give you is dont touch !

Back