Is there any way to play PS1/PS2 games on PC?

ansh1993

hi friends ,
could anyone tell me how to play ps2/ps1 games on your pc ???
if yes , what are the requirements ???
thanks in advance .

To do that, you would be looking at an console emulator. There all over the net, not hard to find.

Requirements can varey alot depending on the emulator.

thanks for the quick reply .
for every game am i supposed to get an individual emulator ??? and is it paid or a freeware ???

No. Emulators come as "PS1 Emulator", "PS2 Emulator", or for some of the older consoles, emulators can cover 4 or 5 different consoles. There all mostly branded, and freeware.

Games come as a "Rom" files that the emulators read.

I must point out though. Owning a Rom file (or game), that you do not already own in original cartridge or disc format, is illegal. So if you own a Sega Mega Drive and can't be botherd digging it out for a blast on Sonic (which you own), downloading it is fine. :)

I must point out though. Owning a Rom file (or game), that you do not already own in original cartridge or disc format, is illegal. So if you own a Sega Mega Drive and can't be botherd digging it out for a blast on Sonic (which you own), downloading it is fine. :)

That's technically incorrect, even though you may own said old game in cartridge/disc format downloading a "backup" to play on your PC is still considered copyright infringement (dumb I know =/ ). However the chances of a publisher going after you for a decade+ old game that you even own is extremely unlikely and not worth the time/legal fees imo.

Relic said:

That's technically incorrect, even though you may own said old game in cartridge/disc format downloading a "backup" to play on your PC is still considered copyright infringement (dumb I know =/ ). However the chances of a publisher going after you for a decade+ old game that you even own is extremely unlikely and not worth the time/legal fees imo.

That information i gave came straight from the policy page of an emulator site that i've used...I was only stating it on here to cover my backside, so to speak.

ansh1993 said:
im unable to find a ps1 emulator could you help me please .

Here's some

That information i gave came straight from the policy page of an emulator site that i've used...I was only stating it on here to cover my backside, so to speak.

I understand, not trying to criticize or anything :) . Just wanted to point out that it indeed is still considering copyright infringement from the publishers point of view regarding ROMs. It's kind of like abandonware, an area of gray with people on different sides claiming different things.

I understand, not trying to criticize or anything :) . Just wanted to point out that it indeed is still considering copyright infringement from the publishers point of view regarding ROMs. It's kind of like abandonware, an area of gray with people on different sides claiming different things.

No worries bud. It's all just a big bundle of red tape this copyright stuff to me, you can't make heads or tails of it sometimes.

thx people but my games dont seem to work what im i supposed to do ???
do i require a graphics card please suggest me a software . im ready to pay about 30$ ..
thank you

For the original Playstation, use ePSXe.

For Playstation 2, use PCSX2.

ePSXe should be able to run well on a lot of computers. PCSX2 can be a real resource hog and would take a pretty good dual core or quad core to play it. I'm able to play Kingdom Hearts 2 on PCSX2 with its internal resolution scaled high so it looks as if there's anti-aliasing in the game because the emulator currently has no real anti-aliasing support. I would post links and images, but I just joined so the forum won't let me until I've had at least 5 posts.

Yes, PCSX2 takes a lot of hardware and is very CPU dependant, but it has a lot to emulate!

For instance, Gran Turismo 4 really needs a Dual Core running at between 3.6 and 4 Ghz to run consistently smooth. But it is still very playable (40 - 50 fps) on my Q6600 overclocked to 3.2Ghz.

There is no gain at the moment with a quad core over a dual core as PCSX2 doesn't use more than 2 cores unfortunately.

I will point out that real old games like from NES, SNES and Nin64(not sure about n64) are actually perfectly legal to download. I have not looked at emulators in awhile ps1 might also be in that category now.

Btw there is even a WII emulator!

Hey treetops, where did you get your info that it is "perfectly legal" to download NES, SNES, and N64 games? Link please.

There's a section in Nintendo's agreement or whatever that says it's legal if you own the game on cartridge/disc from what I remember.

I can tell you for sure that the last comment is not accurate - http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#roms

I'll quote the important part for those who might get scared off by a wall of text

"Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet."

Papa is correct, Nintendo and likely all publishers consider ROMs illegal. The only thing I believe that might contradict that and supersede them is your countries laws, with most of them allowing archival or backup copies of digital work. How that applies to ROMs I cannot say, and doubt it would ever get tested as it seems like a waste of time and money.

That's technically incorrect, even though you may own said old game in cartridge/disc format downloading a "backup" to play on your PC is still considered copyright infringement (dumb I know =/ ).
As far as I know, they have yet to successfully prosecute a case with that law.

"Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet."
That's Nintendo's word. Not a court of law. They could be making it up to scare people from doing it but whether it is actually illegal is not clarified on the link.

If it is actually proven to be illegal anywhere, they should cite the case.

That's Nintendo's word. Not a court of law. They could be making it up to scare people from doing it but whether it is actually illegal is not clarified on the link..

That's true DS - though with this we do know Nintendo's intent and position toward the situation.

Thank you, People

I will make a note myself .:)

But can someone tell me is it the rule for all console's other than the Nintendo ?
Even , if i own the original copy of that disc ?

Back