Is there some HDD checking software?

DjKraid

Hi (again)

I Was wondering if there is some software that could check the hdd like for ex. ubuntu
live cd "memory check" but instead of a ram check I could use a hdd check...so is there
anything like that..?

Also, is there some way to check all the features on a mobo..?

It would be so much easier to have everything on one cd...

All drive manufacturers have utilities for checking hard drives. There are a lot of other utilities available. Check majorgeeks.com if you're looking for something other than what the manufacturers offer.

As far as testing the motherboard, there are programs that do test the different parts of a board. SiSoft Sandra used to have some diagnostics. You can also check on MajorGeeks:
http://majorgeeks.com/downloads7.html

Yes I have had some "manufactuer software" but my opinion is that they s*ck...the only "hdd checker" that I have had (that really worked) was a live cd that came with a Maxtor 3.5" hdd. The program could even check and make partitions on other hdd brands (I don't know how to say that...) but it also had some other features (witch I can't remember anymore) but they only worked on Maxtor hdds. I would like to find a compy of that but I don't know where to search, I lost the cd 6 years ago.
I have also tried a "Seagate software" but that didn't even recognize my Seagate hdds so it had to go...
And then there are loads of tiny "programs" that you can make partitions with and stuff but they are only skins for the (ex.) WinXP admin tools and system monitoring...

Thx for the link! :)

The linix tool is fsck, but you will need to get the system booted to use it.
In a Terminal window, enter man fsck for explanation

Back