Is there something wrong with my video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diremon

Here's what's going on:
So I play Starcraft, and it never crashed before. But now it likes to crash. When I play it, it may work, or sometimes while I am in the middle of my game, it'll crash for no apparent reason.
Recently, I tried to install a new game, and it wouldn't even work.
I looked up the error code I got from Starcraft, and I looked up my problem with this new game, and they both had something to do with RAM.

I've tested my RAM, (did the memtest86 thing) and it is alright. Then someone mentioned to me that it might be my video card memory. (A faulty video card.)

I recently swapped video cards with my brother because I had a video card with a HD port and he had an HD monitor, so it made sense to swap. I don't know if he had problems with this video card before trading with me, but I do remember complaining about image-heavy websites not being as fast as they were before we swapped.

So I'm asking: How can I check if there's anything wrong with my video card?
I don't even know how to find out what kind of video card I have. I've had a look at the actual thing, and, to my untrained eye, it looks to be in good physical condition. (Nothing appears to be broken/damaged or anything.)

Also, can you identify (or tell me how to identify) my video card and tell me if it is worth keeping or if I should get a new one (and what should I get!) I wrote down some of the stuff that's written all over it, maybe that'll help you identify it?
On the biggest black box on the video card was this: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 64
There was a sticker on the back: NVD 14.0
In the corner, it said this: NV 996.0 REV. D

Also, I almost forgot to mention, although I don't know how helpful it will be to you, but I went to Start - Run - DxDiag. Then I went to Video and did those two tests, and the Direct3D test failed. Does this matter?

No. I was told it was ok to test them both, and if I get an error, then to test them one at a time to see what one had the error on it. Turns out I got no errors anyway.

You should test them individually. Your results will be more definite.

When a video card is bad or is going bad the screen can be scrambled with different colors, the screen displays colored blocks, the screen displays any sort of tearing on the screen; basically anything visually that is not supposed to be there.

Alright. I'll do that later, but for now I want to find out if there's something wrong with my video card.

Hm, no, I'm not having any issues with that. I don't think it's "going bad", I just think that it "might not be good enough" or perhaps there's some important thing I am totally missing. For example, what's a driver? :p Oh, when I play Starcraft and hit whatever button it is that makes it go from full screen to your desktop, (The "desktop" button, I call it. It's in between the Alt and Ctrl buttons.) then go back into Starcraft, the colors are all messed, or sometimes grayscale.

download "speed fan" and see if your card is over heating..that was my problem with my 9800GT. l4d2, CSS, and COD modern warfare 2 kept crashing.

"This program is aimed at the power user. To the one who knows what he's doing."

This is what I read in the License Agreement... I don't know what I'm doing. Can someone please tell me what to do so I don't wreck my computer or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back