Is there such thing as Boot sector Virus & how do I remove it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

Hi,

Lately I have been downloading a lot of stuff & have caught some viruses.

I am going to Format my hard drive anyway but my concern from reading somewhere is that there might be some viruses left in boot sectors even after I format.

(1) Is my concern legitimate & is there such thing as boot sector virus ?

(2) If there is, then how do I find out after formatting ?

(3) And lastly how do I remove it ?

I have NOD32 Antivirus and Spyware doctor as well as Ad aware SE Pro Antispyware & Adware,

All comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

The only way to be sure to remove a boot sector virus is to "nuke" or write 0's to the HDD. Only then the HDD will revert to near factory conditions (minus wear and tear).

Be warned that it is low level formating so all data will be erased permenantly..

(1) Is my concern legitimate & is there such thing as boot sector virus ?

Yes, it possible for the boot sector of your hard drive to be infected.

(2) If there is, then how do I find out after formatting ?

It`s better to deal with this before you format.

(3) And lastly how do I remove it ?

You can use your hard drive manufacturers utility to zero fill the drive. Then using your Windows disk, partition and format the drive and reinstall.

What antivirus programme do you use? Most antivirus programmes should be able to detect boot sector viruses.

Having said all that, you may not have a boot sector virus. We may be able to get your system cleaned up, without the need to reformat.

Go and read this thread HERE. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of robertq only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

howard_hopkinso said:
Yes, it possible for the boot sector of your hard drive to be infected.

It`s better to deal with this before you format.

You can use your hard drive manufacturers utility to zero fill the drive. Then using your Windows disk, partition and format the drive and reinstall.

What antivirus programme do you use? Most antivirus programmes should be able to detect boot sector viruses.

Having said all that, you may not have a boot sector virus. We may be able to get your system cleaned up, without the need to reformat.

Go and read this thread HERE. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of robertq only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Howard,

Very kind of you. I really appreciate you taking so much trouble to help.

I will get to work & let you know.

Regards,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back