TechSpot

Is this a good gaming laptop?

By Norseman
May 12, 2008
  1. Area-51® m9750

Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Home Premium
    Notebook Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control or TV Tuner
    Video/Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® Series - Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8700M GT - SLI Enabled
    Enables DirectX® 10 Graphics and up to 100% Performance Increase!
    Chassis: 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD - Stealth Black
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
    Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz – 2 x 2048MB
    System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 120GB 5,400RPM (8MB Cache)
    Optical Drives : 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
    Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card
    Sound Card : High-Definition Audio with surround sound

Thoughts on what I came up with?

2. Whiffen

Whiffen TS Rookie Posts: 323

It is good, the SLi isn't very necessary. You could probably bump the processor up to a better one as well, keep it as a core 2 duo but aim for 2.0 - 2.5 Ghz or higher. Remember, when you are buying from a brand name, you are also paying for that name and not just the parts. Although it is a laptop so it would be much harder to build it yourself and find parts...

All in all its is a good laptop for gaming, depending on what games you play of course.

If you have the option get one 8800 GT instead of the SLi 8700M's

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +25

Looks like a good deal for the price. But try to get another brand, Alienware's customer support sucks.

4. Norseman

Norseman TS Rookie Topic Starter

So would you recommend me downgrading my graphics card to the NVIDIA® GeForce® Series - 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8700M GT and upgrading my processor to the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7400 2.16GHz 4MB Cache instead of the dual video cards and the lesser processor?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.