TechSpot

Is this a PSU Issue?

By Jawshh
Sep 12, 2009
  1. Hi,

I have a creative Sound blaster 5.1 PCI sound card. When I plug it in one of the PCI slots on my motherboard, windows freezes just after starting up and I have to press the reset button to restart. When I unplug it, everything works fine. Is it my power supply? I have a 550W PSU. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-81915PL-G.

Thanx.

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

Should not be the PSU. Does the card work fine on another machine / did it work for you before?

3. Jawshh

Jawshh TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 392

Yes it works fine on another machine and worked well before on mine. I was going to sell that card together with my speakers but it freezes windows when its plugged in.

4. Kcircyrd

Kcircyrd TS Rookie Posts: 216

It is your Sound Blaster card. Use at your own peril.

5. Jawshh

What does this mean?

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

If you haven't already, disable your onboard sound in the BIOS before installing the sound card. They can conflict. If that doesn't help, try using a different PCI slot if one is available.

7. Jawshh

I have change PCI slot, it appears to be working. Why is it working on this PCI slot?

8. Ritwik7

Maybe the other PCI slot has stopped working. That's the only logical answer I can think of.

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

An interrupt conflict is probably the reason it wasn't working in the other slot.

10. Jawshh

Hmmm maybe :(

What is an interrupt conflict?

11. Ritwik7

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.