Is this possible?

I would really love to just lock this thread at hellokitty[hk]'s response, but I won't. But I don't think there is anything else really to be said until YASH can elaborate, perhaps he doesn't need to, maybe all he wanted was a yes or no :D

YES!

All I wanted was a yes or no.

The mother board on my old Emachine (W5243) died about a year ago. And now I have a good deal on a newer Emachine (ET1831-07), so I'm thinking I should take the hard drive out of my old emachine and use it as a "secondary" hard drive in the new one. Hopefully it works though. Thanks!

There is usually room for two HDDs in the drive cage of an eMachines desktop.

Are both of these HDD of the same connectivity? (IDE = 2" wide flat ribbon cable), (SATA = thin cable, less than 1/2 " wide)

The "boot order" in BIOS may have to be changed if. the machine tries to boot from the OS on the old drive.

The hard drives look almost identical. The connections are the same and the hookups are basically the same. I might have to get some one to look at it for me tho. I'm not good with all the computer terms

Well, if you can't tell the difference between a flat ribbon cable 2 inches wide and a cable 1/2 inch wide, that might be the best approach

They should both be SATA. As long as there is a extra SATA port on the motherboard and another power connector it will work. It's as easy as plugging them in (and if necessary correcting the boot order.)

Actually I already had it hooked up.. The computer just doesn't seem to be reading it. It won't even boot up with the secondary harddrive in it.

Back