Is this the blue screen of death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuegt

My friend has an older model Dell, and when i say older, i mean older. I can't remember 4 sure but i think it's a L600 desk top, anyway upon booting up the computer u see the dell boot up screen then as it's trying to load (window98) it show a blue screen saying A fatal exception OE has occured at 16BF:000014E3 the application will be terminated. Then it give 2 options. 1. Press any key to terminate current appilcation, 2 Press control alt Delete to restart. Needless to say pressing control alt and delete only repeats the cycle. Now i can get into set up, but i know nothing about being in the bios of the system that's why i'm here asking u guys for any idea as to if this is the blue screen of death?

Yep, that is indeed the Blue Screen of Death!

bsod1024.jpg

But to tell the truth it really is nothing. It just says that and then you have to restart your computer. If you use Windows XP you RARELY see the Blue Screen unless you are using a Dell Laptop....heh...

Yep that's it

Well he's running window's 98 and everytime u restart his computer it goes through the same thing again. Will changing out the HD save the computer of is the complete computer dead, and thanks for the quick reply.

cuegt said:
Well he's running window's 98 and everytime u restart his computer it goes through the same thing again. Will changing out the HD save the computer of is the complete computer dead, and thanks for the quick reply.
Does it pop up while it is shutting down or starting up?

start up

It pops up after the Dell screen, as it's trying to load windows. I'm not sure about the service pack, but i'd assume it was sp1 if any. It was a computer given to a freind of mine.

cuegt said:
It pops up after the Dell screen, as it's trying to load windows. I'm not sure about the service pack, but i'd assume it was sp1 if any. It was a computer given to a freind of mine.
I would upgrade the Service Pack of Windows 98. That's the only reason I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back