TechSpot

Is this true?

By fimbles
Jun 8, 2009
  1. Here is the responce i received from asrock after memory compatibility/stability issues. My memory will not run at 1066 mhz even though my mobo and cpu support it.

"Hello,

DDR2-1066 is supported in combination with an AM2+ CPU like you have. The memory controller in integrated in the CPU. And some CPU’s have problems handling memory at DDR2-1066 frequency. I am not sure if there is any difference between using 1 or multiple modules at this frequency.

The [Auto] setting in BIOS automatically chooses a lower frequency to increase compatibility/stability. Normally it is no problem to set it manually to the correct frequency (DDR2-1066, 533 MHz). But probably because the CPU cannot handle it correctly, you get these stability issues.

DDR2-800 setting should be stable.

Best regards,

ASRock Support"

Is there any truth in this?? Or am i being fobbed off :)

2. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

If it is stability related than it would make sense for it to run it at a slower speed. IF you force it I will assume it doesn't run stable. Besides the difference between 1066Mhz and 800Mhz wont be too noticable. I also just saw that your running 8GN of RAM so that means 4 sticks? That could also be part of the problem. Due to chipset limitations... Bla Bla Bla that could be part of the problem.

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hi Fimbles.
    yes that can be true. i don't know however if you got that answer so he/she could be done with you or not. i see you have 8Gb 2x4Gb modules. some boards have say 8 or 16 Gb capacity, but buck when more than 4Gb is installed. try this, remove 4 gb(2 modules) and see if it is stable. make sure you keep the 2 modules in the same channel so you don't de-activate dual channel. if it does stabilize you will have your answer.

4. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,160   +198

Thanks for the replies.

You just explained that better than any tech support has in the last week! i think ill stick with the 8 gig at 800, rather than 4 at 1066:)

My motherboard manual says it will support up to 16 gb! hehehe

5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

LOL fimbles, i did the same thing....my computer ocd just didn't like the look of empty Dimms, so i loaded em all up! LOL I never use more than 3 Gb....but it looks cool :) have a great day fimbles

6. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,160   +198

Yup it looks cool! But it did cost nearly 50 pounds more expensive than the ddr 800 aswell :) 124 pounds in total.......But ofc coolness is more important than money !!

have a good day too! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.