TechSpot

Is this you? Virus...

By RedRevolver
Mar 26, 2008
  1. Yes you have probably heard of it...I was on MSN and casually messaging when suddenly one of my friends sent me a message saying "Is this you?" followed by a smily and a link to my MSN email.

My computer started acting weird and closed all the chat windows, and MSN no longer responding. I log back on messenger, and I get 3 people asking me what did you send me? And even more people sending my the link again...well I knew now that it was a virus, so I restarted my computer.

I try to get on my desktop, but as it was loading it made me restart a few more times and then i knew I was screwed. The message no longer showed up but I can no longer load up my desktop settings, only my wallpaper showed.

I tried system restore, but that didn't work, so I am now running in safe mode...can nay of you guys kindly help me on my situation? I feel pretty stupid now : /

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. RedRevolver

RedRevolver TS Rookie Topic Starter

You want me to disable everything is msconfig? Like system.ini, win.ini, BOOT.ini, etc?

4. kimsland

Yes I would.

5. RedRevolver

RedRevolver TS Rookie Topic Starter

Did not work. i still get my wallpaper but no ions or anything.

6. kimsland

Check the Shell value for Winlogon in your registry. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon should show

Shell REG_SZ explorer.exe

Or download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
    This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.