Is this you? Virus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you have probably heard of it...I was on MSN and casually messaging when suddenly one of my friends sent me a message saying "Is this you?" followed by a smily and a link to my MSN email.

My computer started acting weird and closed all the chat windows, and MSN no longer responding. I log back on messenger, and I get 3 people asking me what did you send me? And even more people sending my the link again...well I knew now that it was a virus, so I restarted my computer.

I try to get on my desktop, but as it was loading it made me restart a few more times and then i knew I was screwed. The message no longer showed up but I can no longer load up my desktop settings, only my wallpaper showed.

I tried system restore, but that didn't work, so I am now running in safe mode...can nay of you guys kindly help me on my situation? I feel pretty stupid now : /

Check the Shell value for Winlogon in your registry. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon should show

Shell REG_SZ explorer.exe

Or download this tool: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip
This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back