Is Windows 11 coming? Leaks confirm it

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
What's in a name? Windows 11 is coming. You can just tell. All the evidence points to a name change for the operating system. Big changes, revamped UI, new store, and now this Windows event logo with the big number 11 that you can't unsee. Oh, and the June 24 reveal event is taking place at 11am ET.

Update (06/15): If there was any doubt Windows 11 is coming, a leaked build of the upcoming OS has apparently leaked and Tom Warren from The Verge has run it and taken some screenshots and short videos. The operating system's UI is changed, with several rounded corners and simplified elements, though it feels... unfinished. Check it out for yourself below...

At Microsoft's Build 2021 conference last month, CEO Satya Nadella revealed that they would not cover Windows updates during the event. He noted that big changes were coming for the "next generation of Windows," and promised more information was on the way.

Then this week, Microsoft announced a Windows-only "what's-next" event scheduled for June 24 at 11am ET. The reveal used the logo above, but we managed to miss that the shadow cast by the crossbar on the windows logo omitted the horizontal bar. It's a significant omission since the light shining through casts an image that looks like an 11.

From Nadella's comments and from what we have seen of the Sun Valley update, we know significant changes are coming to the ubiquitous operating system.

Microsoft has not indicated it's moving from the Windows 10 moniker and years prior they said Windows 10 would be "the last version of Windows," but that was a very different Microsoft under a Nadella leadership that was less than a year old. The evidence seems to suggest that it may be planning to introduce Windows 11.

The timeline for iterating Windows names has been all over the place in the last 26 years (starting with Windows 95). The shortest span was between Windows ME and Windows XP, which was 13 months, but ME was a huge mess, so that's not a big surprise.

The most prolonged wait—XP to Vista—was 63 months (just over five years). Microsoft's average for changing names is about three years. Windows 10 launched in July 2015, but the original plan was for this version to remain the live version of the operating system that would be perpetually updated without major new releases to replace it.

During Build 2021, Nadella promised this was "one of the most significant updates to Windows of the past decade." Interesting. More significant than the launch of Windows 8 in 2012 and Windows 10 in 2015? This "update" is big.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'll eat the paper I wrote this article on if Windows 11 is not announced or launched on June 24.

Permalink to story.

Subscription based guaranteed.
Perpetual license will remain but subscription will likely be an option. MS doesn't really care much about Windows, its just a gateway to sale services which is actually where they make money. MS was only going to offer subscription for the next Office but due to customer/user complaints now there will be a perpetual license available as well.

I just don't think they'll label it "11"

I think this will be something like "Azure Windows" and will have subscriptions but for enterprise people it can be rolled into Azure services and with their "pay for what you use" scheme somehow or at least available too.

And I still think it's not out of the question that this is not even the old Windows Kernel and something *Nix based but we'll see on that since it's a long shot.

Let me see...

Windows 98 - Great
Windows 2000 - Amm
Windows XP - Great
Windows Vista - Amm
Windows 7 - Great
Windows 8 - Amm
Windows 10 - Good
Windows 11- ???

Will loop break? :
Curious what makes you say that 98 was great and 2000 was Amm ? Personally, I was very happy to upgrade from 98 which felt toyish compared to 2000, but that‘s just me. Speaking of „me“ - you missed that one.

Subscription based guaranteed.
In this case they can keep it.

Curious what makes you say that 98 was great and 2000 was Amm ? Personally, I was very happy to upgrade from 98 which felt toyish compared to 2000, but that‘s just me. Speaking of „me“ - you missed that one.

In this case they can keep it.

Must have meant ME.

Let me see...

Windows 98 - Ok
Windows 98 SE - Better
Windows 2000 - Great
Windows XP - Great
Windows Vista - Good
Windows 7 - Great
Windows 8 - Good, but ruined by the GUI
Windows 10 - Good, but a privacy nightmare
Windows 11- ??? Windows 12 (to piss off the cupertino rabid ones) - Even less privacy.

Will loop break?
Fixed it a bit for you.

Let me see...

Windows 98 - Great
Windows 2000 - Amm
Windows XP - Great
Windows Vista - Amm
Windows 7 - Great
Windows 8 - Amm
Windows 10 - Good
Windows 11- ???

Will loop break? :

For me windows 10 is best then windows 7

WIndows XP and all older OS have never been good. A lot of issue, bugs, poor security/firewal, not great for multi-taskings, very limited options. etc. WIndows 7 was massive improvement over it in every possible way. All all older OS were pain to use and not user friendly.

WIndows XP and all older OS have never been good. A lot of issue, bugs, poor security/firewal, not great for multi-taskings, very limited options. etc. WIndows 7 was massive improvement over it in every possible way. All all older OS were pain to use and not user friendly.
You're not grading them based on their time. You're grading them based on what came next.

MS has said several times in the past there won't be another #. So if a name change is coming it won't be 11.
Windows OS makes more sense and streamlines the name with market.

For sh!t and giggles, call it Windows 12, to piss off the cupertino rabid cult members.
Wouldn't piss off anyone as Mac isnt referred by #ers anymore. It's just called macOS. Only numbers is a version/build # that the public/consumer never uses. Been that way for several years now.

Hahahahhahhahhahahhaha

Dude, you've wasted your life
You could've been a commedian

I'm having ZERO issues with Windows XP here

All the bugs were stomped out long ago

GREAT security!
No malware since 2014 and no ransomware EVER!

I have ZERO Microsoft security updates and have stayed online in a full admin account with an antivirus that expired in 2015, yet I do not have ANY malware problems, ZERO blue-screens of death and ZERO borked updates to deal with

Aftermarket firewall blocks ALL Microsoft components from accessing the EvilNet

Good enough for multitasking and when compared to Spyware Platform 10, XP has vastly better options

Much better than Windows 7 as well (At least for a Windows Security Expert like me)

Feel free to follow the other lemming off the cliff with Windows 10
Enjoy the lack of control
Endlessly update your Windows malware on the treadmill that goes nowhere

We are happy for you
You should be proud to feel like just a number in the uncaring monopoly machine

Good enough for multitasking and when compared to Spyware Platform 10, XP has vastly better options
That is unless you decide you want to play an even remotely current gaming title. I'd imagine even current applications are problematic trying to get them running on XP.

Back