Issue with SATA2 Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am wondering if someone can help me with this issue.

I had a desktop with ASUS P5GC-MX/133 motherboard installed with two physical hard drives - 1 IDE and 1 SATA2. A year ago I installed window XP SP2 on the IDE hard drive and used SATA2 as storage (not RAID). When I installed the window XP, I did not press F6 to load 3rd party drivers. And I used Device Manager to format the SATA2 drive and partitioned it into 4 partitions.

Last week, there was something wrong with the OS so I reinstalled window XP. However, after reinstalling the OS, the BIOS and window's device manager can detect the 320 GB SATA2 hard drive (but the drive did not show up in My Computer). However, instead of showing the 4 partitions where I have saved important data, it said that the hard drive is not ready.

Can anyone teach me how to get the partitions out and shown in My Computer?

Help is greatly appreciated!.

Eva

See if your drive shows up under Disk Management. Right click on My Computer on your desktop and select 'Manage', then select Disk Management. Also if it shows up under device manager it should say "This device is working properly". You might want to check if the proper drivers are installed and update them if necessary.

See if your drive shows up under Disk Management. Right click on My Computer on your desktop and select 'Manage', then select Disk Management. Also if it shows up under device manager it should say "This device is working properly". You might want to check if the proper drivers are installed and update them if necessary.

Hi Gguerra:

Thanks for the reply. Yes. the device manager shows that "This device is working properly". I am using Hitachi 320GB SATAII hard drive. Do you know where to find the driver?

Thanks!!!

Eva

Was your SATA drive connected when you installed Windows to the IDE drive? Then did you install motherboard/chipset drivers. If so, that is likely what you need to do again, install the sata drivers.

The other, less likely possibility is your sata drive is set to basically emulate an ide drive by the bios, and since Windows is having problems seeing it like it should that probably means initially it wasn't set up like that. If the sata drive is allowed to behave like an sata drive you get stuff like NCQ, I don't think that can happen if the drive is emulating IDE through the bios. This probably isn't your issue, but its something to be aware of if you were poking around in your BIOS when you replaced the IDE drive.

Was your SATA drive connected when you installed Windows to the IDE drive? Then did you install motherboard/chipset drivers. If so, that is likely what you need to do again, install the sata drivers.

The other, less likely possibility is your sata drive is set to basically emulate an ide drive by the bios, and since Windows is having problems seeing it like it should that probably means initially it wasn't set up like that. If the sata drive is allowed to behave like an sata drive you get stuff like NCQ, I don't think that can happen if the drive is emulating IDE through the bios. This probably isn't your issue, but its something to be aware of if you were poking around in your BIOS when you replaced the IDE drive.

Hi Sngx:

Thanks for the response. Yes. The SATA drive was connected when installing windows on the IDE drive. After window installation, I ran the chipset program from the disk provided by ASUS.

Regarding the emulation. Is there anyway to tell if the SATA drive is emulating IDE. Where can I change that option? Right now, the setting is enhanced mode - SATA.

Thanks.

Eva

The BIOS is where I'd check, but it sounds like its running in native sata which is what it should if you had to install the sata drivers after Windows the first time.

You've installed the sata drivers since your recent windows install and still can't see the drive like before?

The BIOS is where I'd check, but it sounds like its running in native sata which is what it should if you had to install the sata drivers after Windows the first time.

You've installed the sata drivers since your recent windows install and still can't see the drive like before?

Hi Sngx:

Well..I wasn't asked by the system to install the sata drivers. When I reinstalled window xp on the IDE drive, the windows cannot recognize it as 320GB. Only after I installed SP2, it showed the drive as 320GB. The windows and bios can see the drive, but not the partitions.

Thanks.

Eva

Hi,

I checked the HDD property and click the last tab for details.

Here is what I have for hardware identity:

IDE\DiskHitachi_HDxxxx
IDE\Hitachi_HDxxx
IDE\DiskHitachi_HDxxxx
Hitachi_HDxxxx
GenDisk

Is it normal? Shouldn't it say SATA instead of IDE? If yes, how do I let the system know it is SATA.

Thank you.

Eva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back