Issues opening Excel, Word and Powerpoint - Microsoft Office 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioVayne

I get the following message when I open Excel, Word and Powerpoint (Publisher works, but dare I try any others?)

Excel Failed to start correctly last time. Starting Excel in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.

Do you want to start Excel in safe mode?

If I click yes or no it doesn't do anything, (on occasion Ill get a message prompting to diagnose and repair, a couple of minutes later it says i's successful but back to square one)

I have just installed SP1 in hopes there's some sort of fix, to no avail
I have tried a repair via the installation disc
I am hoping I don't have to uninstall / reinstall because I don't know if the licenses are limited

If anyone could shed some light on how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it!

Model: Compaq Presario V5000
Office: Microsoft Office Home And Student 2007
Specs: Pentium M 1.46Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM

Office also has the Change/Remove button can Change will allow a Repair

see control Panel->Add/Remove

No, but it may mean that you must talk to some Microsoft lady in Canada as she verifiies you are not part of some scam... she may even verify your phone number. They are only interested in verifying that ownership hasn't changed or that nobody has stolen your product ID. If your address has changed, they may want to know the old address.

I don't know if it's really relevant but i've been over this machine with Norton 360, Spybot, Malwarebytes and CCleaner.

HJT Log:

Install the Service Pack for the Office 2007, that should fix the problem. If not then you have some registry errors that can't be fixed with Ccleaner. Goto IOBIT download the Care program it's 100% freeware. Let that run and see what errors it finds: http://www.iobit.com/

If you still have these issues then un-install then reboot the system. Install a fresh copy of office in a different folder don't use the same one. Something the registry is corrupted.

Service pack installed - Fission Mailed
OIBIT run, (Wow what a program!) - Still no go
Un-installed, rebooted, re-installed to another directory with SP1 - STILL no go...:S It can't be the disc because it has been installed on a PC and is running fine on that...

And surely it's over the top to re-install windows?

no - reinstalling does not waste a license key. Sounds like you have some kind of file association issue. If your anti viri programs came up clean, it is a registry issue or service pack issue.

I suggest using openoffice www.openoffice.org

It's free and can do as lot more than M$ office plus more.

If you like outlook, try Thunderbird

www.mozzila.com also free

Cheers for your input guys!!

Ended up doing a reinstall...installed the drivers then 2007 office before SP3 and worked perfectly fine!!

I suggest using openoffice www.openoffice.org

It's free and can do as lot more than M$ office plus more.
I had high hopes for OpenOffice, but recently uninstalled it becase it took forever to start up. In fact, my whole system was slower while I had OpenOffice installed. I remember installing it several years ago and having trouble with it then too. I run a clean system and don't have problems with other software, so I assume it was something with OpenOffice and not my system. Too bad, because I wanted to like it.

First your system needs to be clean, neat and trim of junk

Second, OO depends upon Java, so you need the latest version

Third, if you're low on real memory you can't really expect lightening speed for Java applications.

that should work -- but adds complexity to the install process :(

remember: a RAMdisk is just stealing virtual memory which is detrimental to the whole systems performance.

I see...What would be involved to set it up? You wouldn't have to copy everything to the RAMDisk everytime you reboot would you?

google for RAM DISK

the basic operation is
  • define the ram disk
  • load the contents desired
  • save it to the HD
  • now MOUNT it when required
I do not recommend this solution

not *.iso

the ram disk content looks exactly like a normal directory.

it should not have references to files outside itself other than know fixed DLAs like
C:\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back