Issues with logging off

Status
Not open for further replies.

skos

This has happen on 2 different laptops running almost identical. XP Pro & IE ver. 6

It happens on all sites that I have to log in on. If I stay on the website, I can move around it all day & not get logged off.

If I flip around say to my outlook or another sire, I get logged off.

Any ideas? I am thinking it is a setting in IE.

Thanks,
Steve

First, IE is now at version 7 with version 8 in beta testing. Best to upgrade to version 7 and see if the problem disappears.

Next, I give my customers Mozilla Firefox as an alternative. IE is tightly coupled with Windows so if there is any Internet related problem in Windows, IE gets affected. Firefox is more independent of Windows and is less affected by Windows problems.

Now, if you plan on sticking with IE 6, flush you Internet caches in Internet Options. Delete cookies, files and history. If you still have this problem, it might be spyware.

So, first upgrade to IE 7.

Best,
-- Andy

Bobbye, I tried your link. I still have the problem.

almcneil, I can not upgrade as this is a work laptop and don't laugh our IT dept. will not support it. However my old laptop was ver 7. & it still was happening

I'd then check for spyware. I recommend the following 3 anti-spyware utilities (you can find each in the Downloads section at this site):

• AVG 8.0
  • Ad-Aware 2008
  • Spybot Search & Destroy

Make sure you download the latest updates for each before running a scan. Repost if you still have problems.

Best,
-- Andy

almcneil, thanks for the idea but I already run all of those programs.

Still have issues

none. And windows firewall is off.

This is a good one isn't it?

Thanks for all the ideas so far. I feel it is a Internet Options in advance tab setting that I am overlooking

I get logged off.

I don't want to confuse the issue with too much information, however is it possible the connection is being broken due to the server/ISP? But you mention the IT- in a work environment, it is usually the responsibility of the IT to keep things working. Have you made that approach?

It is a work laptop so I can't install Mozilla Firefox.

also the connection is not being broke

I think this is a bug in IE6 as I did a quick Google search on it. The solution is to upgrade to IE7. I'm otherwise out of ideas for you for now.

Best,
-- Andy

I read one thread that indicated this was being caused by having IE6 setting for "Enable 3rd Party Browser Extensions" enabled and they also had some malware.

I don't think the problem is cause by a ;bug' in IE6 itself, but it can be an extension or add-on. That would be fairly easy to troubleshoot by removing or disabling the add-ons, then putting them back one at a time, checking system status in between.

Again I ask if you have approached the IT person about the problem. And if it is malware, what is their approach for scanning for it and repair? You state you have already run the spyware/adware programs, but then go on to say that no security is running- that's confusing!

This has happen on 2 different laptops running almost identical. XP Pro & IE ver. 6
No two systems are exactly alike. However, if it is a work environment. I would think that there are allowances on what can be added or removed.

I tried unchecking "Enable 3rd Party Browser Extensions"
Nope, did not solve the issue.

No firewall security. I do have
AVG 8.0
Ad-Aware 2008
Spybot Search & Destroy

Forgive me Bobbye for the interruption
But regarding your installed programs:

AVG 8.0 --> Try Free Antivirus like Avast or Avira

AVG has had many miss reports, by many user reports. Avira AntiVirus seems to be the best.
Plus AVG is very high on system resource

Spybot Search & Destroy --> An excellent program. But it can stop support from applying fixes to your system (with its live resident protection) I believe during support of your computer, it would be best to turn off this protection (or even un-install it for the moment) When everything is back to normal on your system, you can then re-enable this if you like

Ad-aware --> Another good program, but there are many better. Malwarebytes for one.

You can have a look at the Virus\Malware removal proceedure here:
Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

That is all I wanted to say :)

Well, you went backwards! Disable the extensions, then add them back one at a time.

Steve, kimsland brings up a good point. I would try to get away from AVG. It has it's day, but lost it when it went to v8. The other 2 programs are okay to have on the system all the time. But if checking for malware, Tea Timer in Spybot should be stopped. And for cleaning purposes, I support Maywarebytes, followed by SuperAntispyware.

You still have not told us what responsibilities the IT person assumes for the systems vs what each user it suppose to do. You've got a system in an office settings that you say isn't losing it's connection-but-under some circumstances you are getting logged off. That isn't making sense!

Nope, did not solve the issue.

No firewall security. I do have
AVG 8.0
Ad-Aware 2008
Spybot Search & Destroy

Just so you know (and I am often wrong) but simply making or un-making an IE 'check mark' isn't enough.

Sometimes you need to exit IE and restart it, sometimes you need to reboot.

AVG has a decent product still coupled with anti-malware products.

You can also do some online scans like ewido which is an effective alternative and doesn't have to remain resident occupying resources.

Either enable Windows Firewall or get Comodo. Even temporarilly.

removed thanks

I agree, just unticking those entries may not be enough
I generally state run the IE Reset, which does this all automatically: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us
Not sure if that applies here, or not

AVG has a decent product still coupled with anti-malware products
It's a world leader (I believe third at the moment) :grinthumb
Other choices would be free Antivirus like Avast or Avira
Which are much less resource hungry too

UM - I don't need your thanks Kimsland.

AVG 8 is also free.

IE6 is harder to 'reset' than 7 and is still 'buggy' on some peoples installs.

edit : 7 is buggy , not 6 - the extra protection in 7 seems to cause some problems, and that may be due to crud that remains from old viruses/malware or who knows what

Forgive me Bobbye for the interruption
But regarding your installed programs:

AVG 8.0 --> Try Free Antivirus like Avast or Avira

AVG has had many miss reports, by many user reports. Avira AntiVirus seems to be the best.
Plus AVG is very high on system resource

Spybot Search & Destroy --> An excellent program. But it can stop support from applying fixes to your system (with its live resident protection) I believe during support of your computer, it would be best to turn off this protection (or even un-install it for the moment) When everything is back to normal on your system, you can then re-enable this if you like

Ad-aware --> Another good program, but there are many better. Malwarebytes for one.

You can have a look at the Virus\Malware removal proceedure here:
Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

That is all I wanted to say :)

Ok just to be clear. When I say I am getting logged off I mean when you log into a site like ours you put in your user & pass. I can then as long as I do not jump to another site or outlook, continue to work fine.

If I go to another site of Outlook and then come back, I can still surf but I am no longer loged in. To post I will need to log back in with my user & pass.

As for Enable 3rd Party Browser Extensions, I unchecked it. It was checked & I know to restart. After the restart I went back into our site, loged in and worked fine. I open the link to download CCLEANER. Downloaded it, ran it and exited. CAme back to our site and I was logged out again

When you run CCleaner it deletes cookies too. This will cause your saved information to be lost and you'll need to relogin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back