Issues with new Asus 4670 Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ural_

Hi there all,
I recently purchased an installed an ATI 4670 card, updated to the latest drivers an everything. Though while playing video games I get artifacts, ill try an get a picture of them soon enough but they look like black lines making a pattern an flickering, now they aren't very large or extremely problematic, but I do want to get out what I payed for the card, so any1 have any ideas on what the issue is?? :confused: Or if anyone else has a problem with the new Radeon 4600 series, please let me know.

Could be possible, but try downclocking the settings on the card. if the artifacts go away after you do that then its probably a psu issue.

Hmmm that sounds likely too as my psu is well below what the card requires.. Only when I bought the PC itself my computer tech told me it was sufficient for any video card.. Yet quality it may be I highly doubt 250Watts of power would have cut it, yet he insisted it was alright. Oh an I never did recieve any artifacts on my old x1300LE radeon card so it might just be a PSU issue.

Yes, those minor artifacts could be caused by the minimal supply. What is the power supply's manufacturer

250 watts is pretty week, get that thing out of your pc before it kills hardware when it goes poof.

It just had 'FSB Groups' or something like that, an sorry it is 315Watts not 250, still considerably low though. It is by the way a NEC manufacturer computer, so has quite a small heat building case.

Here got a picture of the artifacts, look at most of the left side, then look at the right side where everything seems to be normal.

If the attachment doesn't work -
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/Ural_1991/

Go ahead and update to XP MC Service Pack 3 and install a new 450 watt or better power supply

If it can even fit in this daym case, never buying a manufacturer computer again..

It may be a proprietary NEC case, but I think a standard ATX power supply might fit... So from now on, you can build your own computer like many of us do :cool:

Well thanks for all the help guys, an yerp that is what ill start doing soon enough! haha

I think you meant FSP Group, and the HD 4670 doesn't need a very robust PSU to run either, since it doesn't even need an extra PCI-E power connector. And from the look of things, it seems more to be a driver issue than anything else. Have you check the GPU temperature though, using RivaTuner?

Nope, but I have checked it through standard ATI Catalyst centre, and it was bout 48C with only media player running, again when I lowered clock rates it is now sitting at 34C

you can rule out temperatures as a a factor, ati's can run hot (80-95c) is not out of spec for the 600-700 series chips. although for some reason some of there vendors chose some really bad cooling solutions and thermal compound that has all the thermal conductivity of peanut butter. I prefer the ATI cards , but the first thing I do is replace the HS/fan/thermal compound, or put a antec v-cool under it. I dont care if they say 100c is okay, its not okay with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back