TechSpot

Issues with new Asus 4670 Graphics Card

By Ural_
Dec 7, 2008
  1. Hi there all,
    I recently purchased an installed an ATI 4670 card, updated to the latest drivers an everything. Though while playing video games I get artifacts, ill try an get a picture of them soon enough but they look like black lines making a pattern an flickering, now they aren't very large or extremely problematic, but I do want to get out what I payed for the card, so any1 have any ideas on what the issue is?? :confused: Or if anyone else has a problem with the new Radeon 4600 series, please let me know.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Is XP Media Center upgraded to Service Pack 3?

3. Ural_

Ural_ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 96

Nope, it is still running on service pack 2, would this be the problem??

4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Could be possible, but try downclocking the settings on the card. if the artifacts go away after you do that then its probably a psu issue.

5. Ural_

Hmmm that sounds likely too as my psu is well below what the card requires.. Only when I bought the PC itself my computer tech told me it was sufficient for any video card.. Yet quality it may be I highly doubt 250Watts of power would have cut it, yet he insisted it was alright. Oh an I never did recieve any artifacts on my old x1300LE radeon card so it might just be a PSU issue.

6. Tmagic650

Yes, those minor artifacts could be caused by the minimal supply. What is the power supply's manufacturer

7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

250 watts is pretty week, get that thing out of your pc before it kills hardware when it goes poof.

8. Ural_

It just had 'FSB Groups' or something like that, an sorry it is 315Watts not 250, still considerably low though. It is by the way a NEC manufacturer computer, so has quite a small heat building case.

Here got a picture of the artifacts, look at most of the left side, then look at the right side where everything seems to be normal.
    [​IMG]

If the attachment doesn't work -
    http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/Ural_1991/

9. Tmagic650

Go ahead and update to XP MC Service Pack 3 and install a new 450 watt or better power supply

10. Ural_

If it can even fit in this daym case, never buying a manufacturer computer again..

11. Tmagic650

It may be a proprietary NEC case, but I think a standard ATX power supply might fit... So from now on, you can build your own computer like many of us do :cool:

12. Ural_

Well thanks for all the help guys, an yerp that is what ill start doing soon enough! haha

13. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

I think you meant FSP Group, and the HD 4670 doesn't need a very robust PSU to run either, since it doesn't even need an extra PCI-E power connector. And from the look of things, it seems more to be a driver issue than anything else. Have you check the GPU temperature though, using RivaTuner?

14. Ural_

Nope, but I have checked it through standard ATI Catalyst centre, and it was bout 48C with only media player running, again when I lowered clock rates it is now sitting at 34C

15. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

you can rule out temperatures as a a factor, ati's can run hot (80-95c) is not out of spec for the 600-700 series chips. although for some reason some of there vendors chose some really bad cooling solutions and thermal compound that has all the thermal conductivity of peanut butter. I prefer the ATI cards , but the first thing I do is replace the HS/fan/thermal compound, or put a antec v-cool under it. I dont care if they say 100c is okay, its not okay with me.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.