issues with some drivers, and wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpl2000

hello all, i'm having some issues with some drivers, and my wifi. i'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, if not then i'd appreciate it if someone would move this thread.

my problems are:
my laptop can connect to the wifi router, but it can not connect to the internet via wifi or even via direct connection. i have checked the wifi connection with my nintendo ds, and it works. i can even get into the internet with it. this means that there is nothing wrong with the wifi connection itself, but rather something wrong with either the drivers on the laptop or the laptop itself. also, i know that the internet works because i am on it right now on my desktop, to which the wifi router, modem, and phone router/modem/whatever are connected.

also, through device manager on the same laptop, i can see that it does not even know the cd burner/dvd viewer whatever-you-want-to-call-it drive (generally d:/ on most computers) exists. i've tried accessing it through internet explorer, but the computer does not even know it is there.
i've tried putting in music cd-rs; the disc will spin for a short while, stop, and then nothing will appear on the screen. no matter what programs are, or are not, running at the time.

it is running on windows xp, home edition, and it is a compaq presario v3000. a nice laptop, but it has issues.

furthermore, i can not download any necessary drivers to it because of the issues with the wifi.

any suggestions/solutions are greatly appreciated, and any further system details will be furnished upon request. i do have a thumb drive (1gb) if that will help the process.

try this as an approach to the configuration.

First, wire a connection and get that running. This will allow you to configure
the router, the wireless SSID and any encryption.

Then you can uncable and enable the wireless adaptor and get connected.
Rerun the the tests in the above reference URL.

the problem is, even with a wired connection, it still has, and i quote, "limited or no connectivity"

the thing is, i can see and connect to the wifi, but i can't connect to the internet with this laptop at all.

contridictions here. A wired connection can not have Limited Connectivity.
Are you trying to have both a wired and a wireless connection at the same time?

even when i disable either one and try the other, i get the same message. and as far as wired connections having limited connectivity, they can have no connectivity. and it said, and i quote, "limited or no connectivity". i'm going to see if i can go to a friend's house and connect it to their wifi, and if that doesn't work, i'm going to assume it's something to do with the card. if it does work, i'm going to guess there's something wrong with the router, and my nintendo ds has magical capabilities. which, frankly, wouldn't be half bad ;)

and as far as wired connections having limited connectivity, they can have no connectivity. and it said, and i quote, "limited or no connectivity". [/qoute]yea, it reads that way, BUT -- it is associated with the ip address range
169.254.x.x which is acquired by a failing DHCP request -- most typically via
a wireless config failure. The wired devices failing to config usually result in
"Network Unreachable" or pure Timeout.

Suggest you disable the wireless and get the wired fix and then disable the wired
to config the wireless :)

ok, well, go figure, but apparently my mom gave me the wrong hex code >_<
it's working fine now, and apparently for some reason it can recognize the cd/dvd player/burner now. i guess it just has periods like this.

----problem solved, however temporarily----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back