It it JUST the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since yesterday, I started noticing a number of power failures with my PC. I've never had these before. I was playing a few minutes of FEAR multiplayer, and then, ZAP. I tried turning it back on, and it powered to life but nothing responded and the HD hung. So I shut off my PSU completely and went out for a bit. Came back... was able to get on fine, then decided to play another game. A few minutes... then it blanked again.

This time when I turned it on, it kept getting to Windows and then power stopped. I was able to access bios, but it showed nothing wrong there, all temps were fine - ambient 30 C, and my CPU was running @ 27 C, which is about normal for me at idle or boot.

Also seems that when it shuts off, things in my PC like USB and the LED lights for the LAN and mobo are still lit up.. I only have one LED fan that doesn't seem to be having any problems also. I booted up today and had problems, but then came back later again and things passed a disk check and I'm on right now...

REALLY inconsistent. About to go buy a new PSU. My specs:
Antec TruPower 430w(1.0? Definitely not 2.0)
EVGA NF41 SLI motherboard
AMD 3500+
XFX XXX 6800GS
X2 512MB OCZ EL PE RAM (dual channel)
2 optical drives
3 HDs
Total of 4 fans... all 80mm. I never overheat. Nothing is overclocked, save for the out-of-the-box-OCed GS.

But see, I have some doubt, since it is all inconsistent.

I've never had this prob with power before. Had this system together for 8 months now. Is the PSU failing, or could it be something else? My motherboard? RAM? Definitely not the outlets as I've checked that - still fails occasionally.

i agree

I do think its your psu, it happens when your gaming which in turn is a huge load for the power supple and then you mention it wont turn back on
I was doing a software overclock of my graphics card on a 250 watt power supply running 3dmark 05 multiple times until the computer shutoff and wouldnt turn on anymore :( but in time I was able to turn it on

It could also be bad vid card, bad RAM, bad mobo.. Or the just the vid card overheating.

You should do some more tests before you cough up the cash for a new PSU. Lend another PSU from a friend.. Test the RAM and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back