It looks like Intel will increase the price of its CPUs

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: If you're planning on buying an Intel CPU, it might be advisable to make a purchase sooner rather than later. A new report claims Chipzilla has told customers it will raise prices on most of its processors and peripheral chip products later this year as a result of rising costs.

According to Nikkei Asia, Intel plans to raise prices on flagship products such as consumer and server CPUs, Wi-Fi chips, and controllers this autumn. It's expected that the hikes will vary based on the item, ranging from single-digit increases all the way up to 20%.

Intel's move is reportedly due to rising costs of commodities, materials, shipping and labor. There's also the issue of rising inflation that is making consumers think twice before splashing out on expensive, non-essential purchases. We've already seen PC, TV, and smartphone shipments fall drastically this year as demand wanes, though TSMC has raised its revenue projections as other sectors improve.

Intel previously warned of incoming price rises during its last earnings conference in April, when CEO Pat Gelsinger said the company would "remix the products to higher price points." Another hint came from CFO Dave Zimmer, who said Intel was "looking for targeted price increases in certain segments."

Intel's next generation of processors, Raptor Lake, is expected to arrive in the fourth quarter, and the price increases will likely cover its upcoming CPUs. Intel has long been the more expensive option next to AMD, so it'll be interesting to see how the 13-generation chips fare again Zen 4 in terms of price vs. performance.

Intel still leads the way when it comes to CPUs. With its performance hybrid architecture, Alder Lake has proved very popular among gamers and enthusiasts, a fact reflected in the latest Steam survey, where Intel gained back a 1.28% user share from AMD that puts it close to a 70% slice of the pie. We'll just have to wait and see if team red can capitalize on its rival's future price hikes.

Permalink to story.

Well of course! After all, it IS Intel, isn't it? I knew that it was only a matter of time before the greedy executives started complaining that they weren't getting enough millions in their bonuses like they used to.

Since I refuse to buy Intel, I'm never directly affected by the crap that they pull. The same goes for nVidia. I'm completely immune to the screwing-over that they give their customers. So here's a better idea, instead of not waiting to buy one, just don't worry about it and buy something else when the time is truly right. Personally, I just wait until Canada Computers or Memory Express has a sale on the CPU I want and buy it then. Since it's never an Intel CPU, I never fret over it.

Being a hater has its perks, eh? :laughing:

Last edited:
As expected from Intel since retaking the crown back, first class performance with first class price, business as usual.
Combined with global inflation+war+crypto+gas, I'm sure the rest will follow.

Good thing I made my purchases for next years related to PC parts.
Missing only a upgrade to RTX2060, but I'm afraid I will have to live with it for a while.

There is a current thing, all recommend "buy now" since 2-3 days, what do they know and we dont?

As expected from Intel since retaking the crown back, first class performance with first class price, business as usual.

Missing only a upgrade to RTX2060, but I'm afraid I will have to live with it for a while.

There is a current thing, all recommend "buy now" since 2-3 days, what do they know and we dont?
They know that the sooner you buy, the bigger the benefit is to them. That's all they care about.

AMD took back the gaming performance crown with the 5800X3D and once you consider total system cost AMD beats them in performance at nearly every price point

AMD took back the gaming performance crown with the 5800X3D and once you consider total system cost AMD beats them in performance at nearly every price point
Dont tell this to Intel and their fans.
From their point of view a CPU running hot like a furnance, a bending socket, a TDP ~250W and 3 more FPS, they won back the crown.
An I'm not even mentioned the CPU scheduler or the price.
What about some "washers"?

:p

In other news, Intel has said they may move their future US fab to Europe if they don't get enough subsidies soon enough.

Pat Gelsinger is a greedy CEO. Also potential one with good timing, announcing this a couple months before AM5 debuts and makes Intel's CPUs less attractive.

As a consumer, I'd rather support AMD. AM5 is likely to be more expensive than AM4, at least as a platform once DDR5 is factored in, but at least they're you'll get new technology and not just higher prices on current technology.

At least we got a good enough warning in advance.

Expect AMD to follow suit.
V-cache and new chipsets aren't cheap, and AMD didn't come this far with Zen to keep charging peanuts for it.

Also - shareholders.

Should be exciting!

Not hardly. We probably average five to six new build request a day over at TH and the majority of those posters end up with an Intel build.

I really interested to see how this plays out - Intel being Intel - TBF they always had budget dual core CPUs

I was always curious who bought those $1000 CPUs that were only 10% or less faster than a $500 CPU or was it 5%

Plus give most 4K gaming is GPU constrained - and the wisdom was put the extra $200 into a GPU if you were a gamer ,

Given also some of the mid-range CPUs will be given the go faster tricks and the only real difference will be 8 , 16 or 24 cores .
I suppose their argument there are enough power users - video work , number crunching
and Whales .
But just imagine you are buying the latest topline Intel 24 care beast at $1200.00

You will need a at least a1200w - pref 1500/1600 PSU
You will need an expensive cooling system
You will need a top line , sturdy case
You will need a high end motherboard $400 to $800
You will need the best DDR5 memory at least 64GB probably 128 Gb - as why be a brokie/cheapie now
and a 4090 TI Pro Max
Then you will need best screen
Then you need to buy AAA games the moment they come out to brag

Then there's poor brokie bought a cheap 2080ti for $400 as folks dumped then early for coming 3080/3090 juiciness . Got a bargain on a 1440p monitor - picked out GOTY on sale at $30 or less
Nice keyboard on sale $100
and she/he is just gaming buttery smooth at 1440p

I really interested to see how this plays out - Intel being Intel - TBF they always had budget dual core CPUs

I was always curious who bought those $1000 CPUs that were only 10% or less faster than a $500 CPU or was it 5%

Plus give most 4K gaming is GPU constrained - and the wisdom was put the extra $200 into a GPU if you were a gamer ,

Given also some of the mid-range CPUs will be given the go faster tricks and the only real difference will be 8 , 16 or 24 cores .
I suppose their argument there are enough power users - video work , number crunching
and Whales .
But just imagine you are buying the latest topline Intel 24 care beast at $1200.00

You will need the best DDR5 memory at least 64GB probably 128 Gb - as why be a brokie/cheapie now
and a 4090 TI Pro Max

Then there's poor brokie bought a cheap 2080ti for $400 as folks dumped then early for coming 3080/3090 juiciness . Got a bargain on a 1440p monitor - picked out GOTY on sale at $30 or less
You left out the part that unlike Zen 4, both Alder Lake and Raptor Lake support both DDR4 and DDR5.

How surprising. I agree with others, AMD prices on Zen 4 will see increases too. Still $50 for something I'll keep 3-6 years is nothing. Most people complaining will spend that at a bar in one night.

You left out the part that unlike Zen 4, both Alder Lake and Raptor Lake support both DDR4 and DDR5.
Yeah I get that - but if you are buying atop of line CPU for $1000 would you really get DDR4 you made use it as a stop gap - use stuff you have lying around

Still I don't think Intel can bump midrange too much - not just because of AMD - but PS5 pro , XBox1 , PC sales were declining pre-covid . Most offices need just good enough
I think there were many like me - I held off upgrading my I5- 2500k cpu for a long time - as Intel were lazy , cynical and milking small YOY increases .
I think if Intel do increase prices in coming years - many will go sales and bang for buck deals and stay away from building flagship PCs - you are only 2 years behind for huge savings .
Plus most of us game at 4k or 1440p so CPU less of an effect
Good $400 CPU +$800 GPU is an ok purchase
A $800 HQ CPU + $400 GPU is not good for gamer .

So my take CPUs will rise in price as you get more , inflation etc
But Intel will mainly try to cream the flagships .

$500 CPUs coming out will be astoundingly powerful $600 is my limit if I wanted to do lots of encoding etc

Yeah I get that - but if you are buying atop of line CPU for $1000 would you really get DDR4 you made use it as a stop gap - use stuff you have lying around

Still I don't think Intel can bump midrange too much - not just because of AMD - but PS5 pro , XBox1 , PC sales were declining pre-covid . Most offices need just good enough
I think there were many like me - I held off upgrading my I5- 2500k cpu for a long time - as Intel were lazy , cynical and milking small YOY increases .
I think if Intel do increase prices in coming years - many will go sales and bang for buck deals and stay away from building flagship PCs - you are only 2 years behind for huge savings .
Plus most of us game at 4k or 1440p so CPU less of an effect
Good $400 CPU +$800 GPU is an ok purchase
A $800 HQ CPU + $400 GPU is not good for gamer .

$500 CPUs coming out will be astoundingly powerful $600 is my limit if I wanted to do lots of encoding etc
As of now the hot seller is the i7 12700F paired up with a B660 board and the i7 12700K / 12700KF paired up with a Z690 board. That and DDR5 is starting to come down in price so more and more builds are including that RAM.

Here's a build I just posted on another site (I'm 'Why_Me' on there) but the OP wanted RGB which jacked up the cost and he insisted on AMD.

As of now the hot seller is the i7 12700F paired up with a B660 board and the i7 12700K / 12700KF paired up with a Z690 board. That and DDR5 is starting to come down in price so more and more builds are including that RAM.

Here's a build I just posted on another site (I'm 'Why_Me' on there) but the OP wanted RGB which jacked up the cost and he insisted on AMD.

Well for slightly less the 3 grand - he gets a good gaming PC - and intel one would be just as good - I would save some money by buying a w11 pro key off EBAY never had a problem with keys I've bought . For free - could just reuse old key from earlier edition W7 pro as MS doesn't seem to care and free upgrade to 11.
That build will probably cost $300 less in 6 months as well as 3090 hits 1 grand and the AMD chip discounts further

As I stated about Apple elsewhere

[HEADING=2]MacBook Pro 16" Laptop - Apple M1 Pro chip - 16GB Memory - 1TB SSD (Latest Model) - Space Gray $2449 with discount :) ouch [/HEADING]

Well of course! After all, it IS Intel, isn't it? I knew that it was only a matter of time before the greedy executives started complaining that they weren't getting enough millions in their bonuses like they used to.

Since I refuse to buy Intel, I'm never directly affected by the crap that they pull. The same goes for nVidia. I'm completely immune to the screwing-over that they give their customers. So here's a better idea, instead of not waiting to buy one, just don't worry about it and buy something else when the time is truly right. Personally, I just wait until Canada Computers or Memory Express has a sale on the CPU I want and buy it then. Since it's never an Intel CPU, I never fret over it.

Being a hater has its perks, eh? :laughing:
Did you not notice AMD raised prices as soon as it was competitive it has nothing to do with Intel it has everything to do with business. Do you remember the cost of the 1800X when it came out? Or the Vega Frontier edition? Or Vega's "introductory" price that was advertised like it was an MSRP? Or AMD's promises to do something about raising graphics cards prices when they didn't have the power to do so. You can't just blame Intel for being greedy when AMD's done it too. As long as people pay higher prices why would intel lower them? Also wasn't Intel the one who's still selling i3 level CPU's while AMD abandoned them a long time ago?

Intel wasn't lazy, there is a difference between designing CPUs and manufacturing designs and doing both. Intel's fabs couldn't keep up with their designs. AMD's old fab couldn't keep up with Intel's fab either while Intel couldn't keep up with Samsung or TSMC. I don't think it's fair to call Intel lazy when their designs were just as competitive as AMD's, but intel couldn't get their chips fab'd by themselves or anyone else.

Computer enthusiasts.

Intel wasn't lazy, there is a difference between designing CPUs and manufacturing designs and doing both. Intel's fabs couldn't keep up with their designs. AMD's old fab couldn't keep up with Intel's fab either while Intel couldn't keep up with Samsung or TSMC. I don't think it's fair to call Intel lazy when their designs were just as competitive as AMD's, but intel couldn't get their chips fab'd by themselves or anyone else.
Yeah - I suppose Intel learnt how to really get the most out of 14nm and was 10nm nodes - so getting TSMC to do some smaller nodes now is a real boost ,
Soon everyone is going to have to get creative with Silicon starts hitting the limits - it's not really like GPUs just throw more 2D real estate at it .
Anyway this decade vs last is an eye opener is so many tech fields -ie the rate of advancement is increasing.
I will still say Intel was somewhat complacent last decade - a tick a tock .
Plus it was fairly confident of controlling various segments of market

How many people actually buy the newest CPU? They're ridiculously overpriced brand new.

I'm waiting until Raptor Lake releases and Black Friday before building a 12700k system. At that point it'll plummet in price. Can prolly get a 12700k, Z690 mobo, 1tb NVMe, & DDR5 RAM (Quad channel RAM baby!) by the end of 2022 for about $700-$800 to replace my 4790k system that's 8 years old now. :)

and Whales .

and a 4090 TI Pro Max

I cant unsee how good 4k looks. And yeah, 1440p is better than 1080p but 4k is too nice to pass. Besides4000 series will make 4k gaming a common thing

I'd be more concerned about how the rampant inflation and rise in prices, will affect actual industries that matter. The "enthusiast PC" market is only a small subset of a much larger marketplace. How will these price hikes affect business's looking to upgrade infrastructure, etc. I can only imagine the tray pricing for Intel processors will go up then as well, which affects all kinds OEM's that buy in bulk from Intel.

Back