It'a Entrapment Officer......

captaincranky

I got called on a "necrobump" the other day, and I just realized what may be helping to enable/cause them. The "Similar Topics" column, is almost tantamount to entrapment. Some of those suggestions go back quite a ways........some as far as the "stoned age"...:confused:

And don't get me started about those darn Email notifications from year old threads.

OK, before you say anything. I realize that nothing can be / is going to be done about this. In fact, I'd probably by wrought with guilt if it was. Although, I don't like having to weather the ridicule and scorn that resurrecting old threads can unleash. Oh, who am I kidding, I enjoy it. It helps me keep my edge...:mad:

And besides, I'm approaching, (actually well past), an age where you could say something like, "that old fart is living in the past anyway", and have that carry as an accurate assessment....:D

And by the way, I just broke your "Similar Topics" algorithm's head with this thread title...:p

If there is a point in there somewhere, I am unable to discern one. Have a nice day.

If there is a point in there somewhere, I am unable to discern one. Have a nice day.
Oh there's a point, but it's one of those, "I guess you had to have been there", sort of things.

But there was this:
Wouldn't normally reply to this. But, I have seen CC bump 2 threads in the last 3? days just to revisit an argument that had died months before. One was odd, 2 seems really odd, is this going to be a trend CC? I enjoy your comments even if I don't agree, but bringing back dead threads is a bit much.
So that post was sort of a musing about the possible causes of me necrobumping those aforementioned threads.

Trying to figure out if I picked them out of the "Similar topics" column, or from Email notifications.

In any event, the "officer" in the title of this thread caused the "similar topics" to return unrelated garbage results. Back in the "hip era" we used a slang term for being confused badly by someone or something as, "having your head broken".

Also, "entrapment" is a legal term for having committed a crime that you were put up to by a law enforcement agency.

So basically, I was saying, "the software made me do it".

Does that clear any of that up for you?

So many words to say the software forced you to respond to a dead thread. I know what entrapment is and this wasn't it. :)

Back