TechSpot

It's official: Apple announces iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

By Shawn Knight
Sep 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple on Tuesday wasted no time in unveiled a pair of new iPhones in front of a packed house at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts at De Anza College in Cupertino. The phones, officially called the iPhone 6...

Read more

2. Movatheaiur

Movatheaiur TS Rookie Posts: 28   +7

I always enjoyed the aesthetics of iPhone but this new one looks cheap. This refresh I don't see any innovation either, just catch up to current standard.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

yeah, but at least if they're bigger you can finally tell the models apart. :)

And no full HD on the 4.7 inch model? this from the company that brought us the 'Retina' screen and was first to show how cool a high-res screen is? They're not catching up to the standard on that front.

As for processing, iPhones have always been pretty fast and not laggy, so I wonder how noticeable the improvements will be. We'll have to wait for some complete reviews I guess.

4. Opus

Opus TS Enthusiast Posts: 46

iPhones were always fast because of lighter iOS (as compared to Android) and optimizations keeping in view the hardware (No fragmentation of hardware).

5. These new phones look very "girly" to me, not the cool aircraft ruggedness of the 4 and 5...sigh I was looking forward to upgrading too. They should have made a male and female version.

6. That..that CURVY sides!! Nooo!! I still like iphone 5s' design..

7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,153   +1,427

I am heartbroken. Pretty much all the bad imaginary has flown into reality, like in a nightmare:

- dumb & cheap-looking rounded design;
    - borders just as thick as they were on iPhone 5;
    - ridiculous choice of screen resolutions, below the market;
    - no sapphire screen cover;
    - barely any improvement on the battery life for 4.7" model;

Things I got that I do not want:

- I don't care about a faster CPU, the previous one was already extremely capable;
    - I couldn't care less about the phone becoming thinner;
    - I don't want a phone that's just BIGGER;
    - I don't want a 240fps video recorder;

Mr Cook, look at Gallaxy Note 4 and LG G3 Prime, and shiver, you're worthless shadow of Steve.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  8. @ VitalyT If you didn't want a bigger or faster phone and a better camera what would you reasonably have expected to have come out?

9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Don't worry... you can still buy an Apple Watch. :)

10. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah really disappointed also. The bands and lack of glass on the back make it look cheap. Plus, the screen resolution is garbage. Jobs would be disgusted by current mobile products by Apple.

VitalyT likes this.
  11. VitalyT

I'd check his grave for any signs of fire, he just might be spinning too fast...

Jad Chaar likes this.
  12. VitalyT

It just popped on apple.com

And wait a second... it says 1920x1080 for the 5.5" model Ok - I will retrieve a small piece of my previous statement about odd resolutions. I thought it was a different one, higher res, but it is just full HD :)

13. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

The thing about the new 6 that pisses me off most is that they kept 16GB as the base amount of storage but raised the highest and middle tiers. It only costs them peanuts to add 16GB of storage.

Jos likes this.
  14. Marty LK

Marty LK TS Rookie

I'm glad the new iPhones are ugly - have those silly and awkward wide stripes on the back. Makes it that much easier for a tech head like myself to resist it. Not that I would want a future-disabled phone from Apple to begin with, just that as much as I love new gadgets, it being ugly will make it that much easier to forget about.

m4a4 and VitalyT like this.
  15. VitalyT

The only thing eases my mind - it looks so pass-able, I start feeling the withdrawal effect from Apple... Perhaps getting a Note 4 or LG G3 Prime will keep me going...

Marty LK likes this.
  16. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Enthusiast Posts: 98   +22

Watch out Samsung, Apple have just innovated the large form smartphone. Make sure you're lawyered-up.

What happened to that statement that Apple designed the size of the iPhone to match the thumb dexterity limits. I guess, they found some bigger users.

17. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

Not interested in smart watches in general... but dang, it's ugly.

18. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,048

It's pretty much what most of us expected except for that strange resolution on the smaller model and they seem like any another ordinary 9 to 5 smartphone in a universe packed to the rafters with smartphones.

19. Introducing the iPhone 6 BBW for all those "plus" sized models...with new widescreen camera that can capture 10 friends or 4.5 plus sized friends... Excellent!

wastedkill likes this.
  20. VitalyT

Apple hired an overweight phone designer and he was like - oh wait, I don't fit in a selfie, let's fix it...

21. Gaara

Gaara TS Enthusiast Posts: 99   +25

It's official...Apple has run out of ideas and is now trying to catch up to Samsung who has had this size of phone for YEARS! There is only evolution here...no innovation! Also, the watch is a dumb idea...nobody wants to talk into their wrist. The whole idea of having a smartphone is to consolidate devices (gps, pager, phone, etc.)...not to go the other way and create MORE devices. Google Glass kicks the #$%$ out of the apple watch. Apple is tracking the same route as Nokia and RIM.

22. VitalyT

Apple just had the biggest innovation yet, they invented a new size for the iPhone... ;) What's more to ask? :)

23. techanswers1

techanswers1 TS Rookie

So by what you are saying is that apple should have made a pink iphone along with the other three color's

24. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,554   +2,897

You just stated the male version should have been made pink. Well done!

25. I meant the curvy design for the women and a blocky piece of billet aluminum for the guys. And yes there is always the exceptions in gender tastes, but at least it would give everyone a choice. Don't get me wrong I like curves in my cars and women... Just not so much my phone.