iTunes Library Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I was moving some folders around and accidentally moved my iTunes library folder from it's location in My Music. I realized it mid-move and cancelled it. It had already moved to I tried to move it back. Did so with no problems but now when I try to open iTunes it tells me that "The iTunes Library.itl file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file." Now I have gone into properties on iTunes and made sure that I have all permissions with it... Not sure what to do, updated iTunes to the latest one Apple offers and it still pops up with the same message. iTunes won't even open up as a program, let alone show me it's library so I'm wondering what is going on... If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

hard way to learn; NEVER cancel a MOVE operation
(cancelling a COPY is ok as the original is still in place which leads to a better paradigm;
use COPY then DELETE whenever you have sufficient HD space :) )

the 'iTunes Library.itl' is a binary file and located (normally) at
My Documents\My Music\iTunes​
which contains
Album Artwork\
iTunes\Music\
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
itunes Genius.itdb
iTunes Library.itl
iTunes Music Library.xml
sentinel
I would use SEARCH to find these files and copy them back to their proper location

Tried that, two ways. I tried to just move them straight back to the Music folder. That didn't work so I sent them to the recycle bin and restored them to where they were and it didn't work. I've uninstalled iTunes and re-installed it to no avail. Thinking about just deleting everything and starting over completely. I am pretty sure I will lose my entire library if I do that but I'm not seeing any other alternative. Thanks for the help and if you think of anything else please let me know, again, I appreciate it.

Save the *.xml file and the Album Artwork\ & iTunes\Music\ folders.

After reinstall, replace with the saved versions and you're good to go.

(I've actually copyied the three above to another system (a mac at that) and both run fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back