TechSpot

Jailbreaking smartphones remains legal. Tablets? Not so much.

By Rick
Oct 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The U.S. Copyright Office has performed its triennial review of exceptions to the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). Officials have most notably determined jailbreaking smartphones (but not tablets) remains legal, unlocking phones is legal -- but only with your carrier's...

Read more

2. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Well I wouldnt be one of those ppl who jailbreaks their tablet. I like mine just the way it is. Heres a little tidbit of information for those ppl who are thinking of jailbreaking a device. Doing so invalidates ANY warrenty you have on the device. Manufacture, secondary, or store warrenty.

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,979   +391

you might forget that you can UNjailbreak your device whenever you want. and jailbreaking is practically ***** proof, meaning the only problems you might really have are accidental damage, and most doont cover that, so yea.

4. Tygerstrike

@ike
    When you jailbreak your phone it leaves a little animation on you boot logger. So tho you may be able to UNjailbreak your phone, anyone who gets into your bootlogger will see that it has been jail broken. You cant remove that animation as its normally built in to be placed there if you JB your phone. I just had a customer last week who decided to jailbreak their Android phone. They screwed it up. In the process of attempting to fix their phone, I noticed the animation and had to inform them that missuse of their device negates their warrenty.

5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,979   +391

I had an animation for the boot on my jailbroken ipod, but I restored it (I dont remember if I did DFU or just some basic restore or something) and when itunes had it back, functioning, in factory settings, the animation was gone along with every other possible sign...I sold that, but I distinctly remember the animation being gone...

6. Det

Det TS Rookie Posts: 84

It's called rooting, not jailbreakin in the Android world.

7. Does the trem "jailbreak" only refer to Android devices..?

Because Android is a GUI, overtop a free Operating System...

8. Det

Det TS Rookie Posts: 84

Android is _not_ a GUI. It's an operating system :D.

9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

All I here is a bunch of "blah blah blah" coming from some lawyers trying to justify the BS they're promoting.

10. dawei1993

dawei1993 TS Rookie Posts: 37

Yeah. Life sucks.

11. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,761   +97

Rooting the Tablet mostly what is called under the Android Tablets. All my tablets are Rooted except for the Toshiba Thrive 10.1". Root gives you adware/bloatware blockage. Overclocking access. On tablets that are not dual core you might want to consider Rooting it. Dual and Quad core you might not need it. Except if you really want the use full root. Most of the higher names have Google Apps the cheaper tablet or unknown tablet makers can't use Google Apps due to licensing issues (they don't want to pay for it) So they use GetJAR, Mobile Market 1 to replace Google Play Store. Even with Amazon App Store still like like Google Play Store for Apps, Movies, Music and Books.

If you want to get rid of the ads on your smartphone or tablet and have it rooted (jailbreak) you can use the app called adFree (free) blocks all ads in games and apps.

12. graff3

graff3 TS Rookie

Actually, if you re-root your phone with the stock rom it goes back to the normal android animation. I have my phone rooted and did this with my fiancees phone 2 weeks ago. Her phone took a dump and all I did was install the previous update rom, update the phone software OTA then restart it. Some of us actually research and learn this stuff so we don't get our warranties voided.

13. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,761   +97

They can't tell if you root it the way you don't change the entire UI from what you had. I just root in the background. Most change out the entire OS. No-no with phones with service contract on it.

14. Tygerstrike

graff3
    Well then congratz for using your device the way you want to. Just dont forget it if you break your phone. They can get into your phone even if the screen is broken and you cant.

15. graff3

graff3 TS Rookie

I have long known about them voiding warranties over doing what I want with a phone that I paid for myself. Playing it safe is the only way to do things when it comes to this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.