TechSpot

Java & browsers (Google Chrome)

By learninmypc
Dec 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I had a thread here about google chrome cookies & finally dumped google chrome because of that.
    Looong story short, since I've been using SeaMonkey & Firefox portable versions exclusively,
    I decided to try GC portable.
    I've had no problem with cookies, but as with ALL my other browsers java IS disabled. Yet in GC, I just found out this morning I NEED java enabled to access my yahoo in GC yet not so in SeaMonkey or Firefox. WHY?:confused: Why can I access in yahoo with out java in Firefox & SeaMonkey but not GC?
    To access gmail in GC I had to paste the gmail link into the EXceptions area in the privacy settings/java area. Yes, I'm confused:confused: Thanks in advanced:)

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,302   +238

I guess it'll remain a mystery, thanks & Seasons Greetings:)

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

4. learninmypc

I've got java but its my understanding its supposed to be disabled due to the possibility of hackers. So, in SeaMonkey & Firefox is it disabled yet I have no problem anyplace unless I try this link http://trackermap.kingcounty.gov/tracker-map-launch.jsp
    So why is that not true using Google Chrome?
    Ok, I'm going to put this thread on hold because I just got my 2nd hand W7 & want to get it set up.
    BTW, ALL browsers I've mentioned are the PORTABLE APPS versions.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

6. learninmypc

Yes, I used to have java enabled in all browser but then I read some place in here java should be disabled so I did so.
    In GC, I'd have to go into Setting>Show Advanced settings> & under Privacy, go into Conent settings & paste the url in there & ok my way out.
    But, I'm now on my (new to me) W7 pc & most likely won't be using that XP because of this http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-rebooting-my-xp-pro-mce.187556/
    I'm waiting to hear from my friend before I come in here to get this W7 set up for me.
    I do thank you for your input thou & wish you a Merry Christmas :)

7. learninmypc

Ok, I've installed the portable version of Google Chrome & I'm on my W7 Home Premium & still cannot use the NEW yahoo mail with java disabled.
    Yet with java disabled in SeaMonkey & Firefox, no problem.
    When I tried to access http://www.kirotv.com/s/news/live/ with java disabled, it would not let me until I pasted that URL in the java exceptions area.
    Now I suppose if I turned java on, I could access everthing but till I hear its safe, I'm not going to.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.