TechSpot

Java update error

By kingkoll
Sep 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello ladies and gentlemen.

I recently tried to install the latest update of Java, and received a Java setup window with this message: "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"

Clicking 'yes' results in this error message from Windows Installer: "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

I've seen another thread with the same issue, but the solution was a little vague, so I was hoping someone might know some detailed steps to fix the problem.

I've uninstalled every Java plug-in, update, and program I could find, but they haven't solved the issue. Running Vista.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    -K

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,443   +220

Just checking but did you uninstall Java through Programs and Features?

3. kingkoll

kingkoll TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did. I basically cleared out every mention of Java I could find, including in Programs and Features.

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,443   +220

Use a registry cleaner such as the freeware Ccleaner to clear the registry. Once cleaned, try installing the latest Java version again.

5. ruready2

ruready2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 219

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

Try using JavaRA which will properly clean out Java and then you can start over with the latest install

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.