Java update error

By kingkoll
Sep 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello ladies and gentlemen.

I recently tried to install the latest update of Java, and received a Java setup window with this message: "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"

Clicking 'yes' results in this error message from Windows Installer: "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

I've seen another thread with the same issue, but the solution was a little vague, so I was hoping someone might know some detailed steps to fix the problem.

I've uninstalled every Java plug-in, update, and program I could find, but they haven't solved the issue. Running Vista.

Thanks in advance,
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Just checking but did you uninstall Java through Programs and Features?
  3. kingkoll

kingkoll TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did. I basically cleared out every mention of Java I could find, including in Programs and Features.
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Use a registry cleaner such as the freeware Ccleaner to clear the registry. Once cleaned, try installing the latest Java version again.
  5. ruready2

ruready2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 202

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,158   +599

Try using JavaRA which will properly clean out Java and then you can start over with the latest install