Jedi Knight 2: Initial Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

I know a lot of 3ds members expressed an interest in this title so on the way home from work last night I went into my local music/video/games store and picked up a copy. I had watched movies, read preview articles, browsed pictures and looked forward to this, the latest Star Wars computer games.
The system that I installed it on was my home gaming pc, which is:
  • 1.4Ghz Athlon running at 1.53Ghz
  • 256 DDR Ram
  • 20GB Maxtor 5400rpm Hard disk
  • Asus v8200 Geforce3
  • 19" Samsung 957DF Monitor
  • Hercules Fortissimo 2 Sound card
  • Windows 98SE
My system has the latest Nvidia Detonator drivers (Nvidia win98SE 28.32 drivers) installed.
As with the other recent fps games that have been released based on the Quake3 engine I set my graphics levels fairly high as I expected my Geforce3 to hand the graphics without problems.
1024x768 resolution, very high texture details, trilinear filtering(but also Anisotropic filtering in the "More Video" options) and V-Sync disabled. In my OpenGL driver settings I set 2x AntiAliasing.

When I initially started the game looking at some larger objects (ship and sky right in front of you when you first enter the game) I experienced some slow down. Previously I had experienced this with resolutions greater than 1024. After a couple of minutes of gameplay it hung, after a reboot and another couple of minutes it hung again. Third time lucky and after taking of AA and dropping the anisotropic filtering to x2 it ran ok. Funny thing was that I was able to set it back to almost the same as the original settings that had seemingly resulted in the computer lockups/hangs and it still ran fine :confused:

Anyway onto the game play. For difficulty level I choose jedi (one up from padawan which I assumed meant easy). Ok my first complaint is the crosshair seems to hug walls. I'm not sure if this is something related to the difficulty setting as it seemed to have a bearing on aim at enemies, sort of snaps to the target when you move the crosshair close enough. My second complaint is again possibly related to level of difficulty. I found that I could go round a corner and take shot at a stormtrooper back off and hide round the corner, then go back round and he would still be in the same position. The only noticable AI that I have spotted so far (onto 2nd level) is that if you shoot officers first the stormtroopers sometimes run away. Thankfully the puzzles in the game are the usual straight forward "Get object, put object" school of thinking and so far have involved activating gun turrets to shoot through blast doors, controlling the little box droids that you see running around the death star in Star Wars to shut off some valves so that you can enter an otherwise fatal room.

The graphics in this game are top notch. And running around with a lightsaber is every boys dream ;)
The weapons are very, how should I put it, Quakish with the multiplayer game featuring a sniper rifle that has just a little similarity to the Quake series' Railgun.

The multiplayer seems to have some problems even though the majority of the code must be quake3 based. Very laggy but just like a lot of the MOH:AA multiplayer test games they were run on home users computers and therefore likely to have bandwidth issues with more than about 4 people connecting. Lightsaber battles will take a bit of practice and getting used to as blocking seems to be a passive action i.e. just not moving. Most battles that I took part in reminded me of the button bashing that most people new to Tekken series of games resorted to.

To sum up, its another Quake3 engine games (Good), and its based in the Star Wars universe (Good) but on the otherhand the multiplayer part seems a bit limited (Bad) and at this point with my limited amount of play in the single player the AI seems to be quite limited in comparison to RTCW and MOH:AA but this could just be a level of difficulty issue.

Well those are my initial impressions, please add your own opinions and experiences with this games. I will post back when I have played a bit more of it ;)

Arris

Thanks for the review Arris.. I was thinking about buying this game and seeing what its all about. This game is getting some serious press and Im expecting it to be perfect. Being based on the Quake engine I think is a bad thing. The engine may be fast but its old and the graphics will show.

I'll wait to see what else you have to say about it Arris..

Originally posted by svtcobra
Being based on the Quake engine I think is a bad thing. The engine may be fast but its old and the graphics will show.

Well, QIIIA:TA is arguably the best engine out there as of now. Do you mean that RTCW & MOHAA have bad graphics? Of course, the next gen - Unreal 2 & Doom III - will be better, but we are not there yet. ;)

Being based on the Quake engine I think is a bad thing. The engine may be fast but its old and the graphics will show.

I'll wait to see what else you have to say about it Arris..
Doesn't seem to have hurt Counter-Strike, the most popular FPS game around.

Originally posted by 3DSThomas

Doesn't seem to have hurt Counter-Strike, the most popular FPS game around.

It's popular but very overwhelming for the average player. People are going to quit in my opinion of three main factors.

1. Graphics - They are fine but are becoming quite old now, the gamers want bigger and better.

2. Gameplay - Being shot by a sniper once then dieing near the beginning of the round gets annoying considering you don't "respawn." You just have to wait it out. This is a game and should be fun.

3. Cheating - Keep it plain and simple. You don't want one person headshotting all your teammates and keep on losing every round. That just gets plain annoying with the fact all you see on your monitor is "H4h4! 1 ju57 0wn3d y0u 411! Ph34r my h4ckin6 5ki115!"

The demise of Counter-Strike is coming.

da forse iz hear...

preview @ pc.ign.com

pc.ign.com:
For a game that so prominently features a lightsaber on the box, in the manual, and in almost all of the marketing materials, it takes a surprisingly long time for Kyle to actually get his hands on one. You spend a good while running through the single player levels before you even get a chance to pick up a lightsaber or use any Force powers. Whatever.

Once you do get them, it'll take a while to get used to using them. The controls for the lightsaber aren't as intuitive or responsive as the controls in a fighting game. There's a fair amount of sophistication here but some of it seems a bit forced. The main problem is that you're using the movement keys to input attacks. You wind up running around kind of erratically when all you really want to do is chop off some heads. Still, all my bitching might merely indicate that I'm just not totally comfortable with the lightsaber controls yet (it takes a while to get used to the feel of the game in general). In any case, it's cool as hell to smack people around with your lightsaber.

Thanks for the info. I just picked up a copy as well. We'll see how the game performs on a GF2MX in a while :D

Moving crosshair/auto aim type thing still happens in the harder difficulty levels. Stormtroopers are harder to hit but I wouldn't say that so far the AI has been particularly impressive. After I've played a bit more with the higher difficulty settings I'll post back again.

Originally posted by Arris
Moving crosshair/auto aim type thing still happens in the harder difficulty levels. Stormtroopers are harder to hit but I wouldn't say that so far the AI has been particularly impressive. After I've played a bit more with the higher difficulty settings I'll post back again.
Agreed. Even at Jedi difficulty, it's hard to hit those darn stormtroopers. I've played the game for around 45 minutes. It's still too early in the game to find anything exciting.

The graphics are not too bad considering the fact that I'm only using a GF2MX with AXP1600+ and 256MB RAM on WinXP Pro. I'm running at 1024x768x32bit. It's also surprisingly smooth... for now. Will post more when I get deeper into the game. Right now, I can't wait till I get the light saber :D

Well, the Quake Engine is old and that is my reasoning for my comments above. I would think that a new game engine would be out by now that would be alot more "up to date" looking.

MOHAA is actually a very good looking game. Im just used to Halo on the Xbox. It is in a totally different class. I havent been playing PC games lately because I got an Xbox and some of the games are unbelievable looking. Some are terrible looking as well but for the most part I think they are a bit more "up to date" looking than some of the new PC games out there.

As it hurts me to say it, you're right, the Quake III engine is getting old and it's showing it signs. I can't say that I was blown away by its graphics. Perhaps it's the lack of FSAA that my GFX card can't support.

Anyhow, since I'm stucked with FPSes, I dont' think a console will satisfy my appetite. Besides, I can't get myself to purchase such an expensive toy {g}

I think your right Lokem about the FSAA.. FSAA will definately help out Quake engine based games. I only liked playing Quake when I was using a Voodoo 5 with 4x AA turned on.

I was very impressed with the visuals with that card. Thats was 2 years ago though..Something new should have been out by now.

As far as the "expensive" toy goes, it was tough at first to justify. Especially with some of the release games because they were terrible. See, I waited almost 2 months to get Halo and that was a big mistake. I tried every other game but Halo and I disliked them all. Nothing impressed me enough to justify the purchase. Then I got Halo. At first I thought that it was nothing great and I contemplated selling the Xbox on Ebay. Then I beat the first level and WOW!!!! The landscapes, environments, gameplay, A.I., eveything was incredible. I love how there are different vehicles in the game to use. It really impressed me and showed what the future is gonna look like for the Xbox. Now I have a few really good games with more coming out every month. Im happy with my purchase and feel that the money was well spent.

I havent been playing PC games lately because I got an Xbox and some of the games are unbelievable looking. Some are terrible looking as well but for the most part I think they are a bit more "up to date" looking than some of the new PC games out there.

OK, I'm with you. My point was that the enhanced QIIIA:TA-engine has the best currently available graphics for PC-games. Looking forward to the next gen-games though. Hopefully Halo will look as great in the PC-version.

Originally posted by Demiurg

OK, I'm with you. My point was that the enhanced QIIIA:TA-engine has the best currently available graphics for PC-games. Looking forward to the next gen-games though. Hopefully Halo will look as great in the PC-version.
In some respects it could be even better, I mean not as limited memory wise. Course guess you could also say they have a greater range of hardware to get it run on, not everyone has a geforce 3 or other DX8 hardware.

Another problem to take into account is development time. I'm sure they chose the Q3TA engine because at the time they were deciding which one to use, it was the best engine ( at least graphics wise ).

Originally posted by 3DSThomas

In some respects it could be even better, I mean not as limited memory wise. Course guess you could also say they have a greater range of hardware to get it run on, not everyone has a geforce 3 or other DX8 hardware.

Well, if its developed right it will be better. Game developers need to start implementing DX8 features into every game. Sure there are alot of people out there without DX8 compatible hardware, but there are probably just as many out there that has DX8 compatible hardware with no games to play and see the benefit of the 300-400 dollars they just spent. I could go on all day about this. If the games were out there to showcase these high end cards people would buy them. Sure the new cards are fast and run AA with no issues at high resolutions but they were designed to make games look better than ever. So what if I can play QIII at 145fps. I want to play a DX8 game that is graphically amazing.

This is why I bought an Xbox. Im sick of wasting my money on video cards that have no software support.

p05ta1, welcome..I just wanted to make sure your aware of the 3DS Forums TOS.

:wave: Newcomer Welcome & Hello :wave:
Here's some tips for a more pleasurable 3DS experience.

Please Read FAQ's so you have an idea of how the Forum operates.

* Be mindful of our International Membership; use proper English & Grammar.
* Women & Children frequent the boards, watch your language! (TOS is strictly enforced)
* Please Post in the Correct Forum, do not double post.
* Please use a specific question on the Subject Line.
* This will archive your subject for later searches/retrieval
* Subject lines like "Help me" or "I have a question" & other pleas of desperation are not useful in a help forum.
* Learn to use the Search Feature extensively to answer questions, for the following reasons:
* 1.) Redundant Topics: most popular subjects are currently being discussed, or similar questions have been answered.
* 2.) Links: we might forget a good link that was previously mentioned in answering your question.

Please read the 3Ds homepage www.3dspotlight.com & please visit our sponsors.
Feel free to quote the articles, guides, reviews & links.

Enjoy!

This is why I bought an Xbox. Im sick of wasting my money on video cards that have no software support.
this generation of consoles have indeed took game graphics into another level...
as on Game Cube:

starfox:
starfox2.jpg

resident evil:
residentevil3.jpg

dunno about you guys, but that is some seriously spooky looking graphics... :eek:
looks even better than doomIII (from the clip in the GeForce3 release), IMO...

Originally posted by lokem

Agreed. Even at Jedi difficulty, it's hard to hit those darn stormtroopers. I've played the game for around 45 minutes. It's still too early in the game to find anything exciting.

You found it difficult to hit stormtroopers at Jedi level?
On Jedi level I can jump into a room of about 12 of them and take them all out without that much of a problem.
Maybe I just play too much fps. Played a couple of games of the GlobalOperations demo and was asked to join a clan. For crying out loud the game hasn't even been released yet ;)

starfox:
starfox2.jpg

resident evil:
residentevil3.jpg

dunno about you guys, but that is some seriously spooky looking graphics... :eek:
looks even better than doomIII (from the clip in the GeForce3 release), IMO...

Thanks for the refresher. I've seen the RE3 screenie b4 and it looks just jaw dropping awesome! And is that "fur" in the StarFox screenshot???

Originally posted by lokem
Thanks for the refresher. I've seen the RE3 screenie b4 and it looks just jaw dropping awesome! And is that "fur" in the StarFox screenshot???
not sure if it's "fur" or not, but it sure does look like one! amazing!
reminds me of Monsters Inc. :eek:

Originally posted by Ai Hate

not sure if it's "fur" or not, but it sure does look like one! amazing!
reminds me of Monsters Inc. :eek:

Ah yes! Monsters Inc! :) How can I forget.. Hehe.

Anyway, just noticed these links over at Accelenation.com:

Jedi Outcast and Freedom Force Stuff
2002.03.28 : 09:23 /// Jason P. Brown
http://www.accelenation.com/

Todd and I have picked up both Jedi Outcast and Freedom Force. We are going to save first impressions for an article that will be published this weekend, but for now, here are a bunch of links to sites that will give you info on both.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

# jediknight2.lucasarts.com

# www.jediknightii.net

# modcentral.jediknightii.net

# www.jedi-outcast.com

# www.jk2l.com

# www.jedicenter.com

Freedom Force

# www.myfreedomforce.com

# www.freedomforce.net

# www.freedomforcecenter.com

Originally posted by Arris
You found it difficult to hit stormtroopers at Jedi level?
On Jedi level I can jump into a room of about 12 of them and take them all out without that much of a problem.
Maybe I just play too much fps.

It's not that hard to take out 12 st's at Jedi level... Their AI isn't good enough to take advantage of their number...
(Nor to understand that when you are fired upon, you should fire back!)

Another thing I find annoying with the game is the brightness needed... When I loaded it up, I found that it was nice and dark, but when I took the big elevator down a level I couldn't see anything!, and had to increase the brightness :(

The last negative thing I've found is the lightsaber... Using it in a deathmatch is fun, but it's too hard to control properly... (Trying to kill one player, I accidently kill another one instead... Scorewise np, but fun?)

Not that I'm not totally blown away by the game! It's a game which'll probably keep me captivated for ages :)
(and it even works ok on my V5 :D)

.02$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back