Star Wars Outlaws trailer confirms August launch date, physical edition will require an internet connection

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? A new story trailer for Star Wars Outlaws has dropped, confirming that we've got just over four months to wait before playing Ubisoft's adventure. It's also been discovered that this will be another game where the physical edition requires an internet connection to install.

Star Wars Outlaws' latest trailer shows off more of game's story and its protagonist, the scoundrel Kay Vess. The big news comes at the end: Outlaws will release on August 30, assuming it doesn't suffer from the all-too-common scourge of big-game delays.

If you absolutely can't wait that long, buying the Gold or Ultimate Editions will grant you three days' early access, as does subscribing to Ubisoft+. The more expensive editions also come with a Season Pass that includes two DLCs, the exclusive 'Jabba's Gambit' mission, and the 'Kessel Runner Character Pack' cosmetic pack. The rest of the Ultimate Edition goodies consist of the Sabacc Shark Bundle, the Rogue Infiltrator Bundle, and a Digital art book.

Best Buy is one of the retailers to have posted Star Wars Outlaws' pre-order information and box art. The latter confirms that this will be another game in which the physical version requires an internet connection to install. This was also the case with a previous Ubisoft title, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, which required a connection to install the mandatory day-one patch.

Ubisoft has confirmed that, like Frontiers of Pandora, an internet connection is required for installation and updates, but you will be able to play the game offline the rest of the time.

Outlaws, which Ubisoft calls the first open-world Star Wars game, is set between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, hence the sight of Han Solo frozen in carbonite.

There's plenty in the trailer that should appeal to Star Wars fans, including a Sarlacc pit, spaceship battles, AT-STs, and a large number of alien races, but the majority of the video's comments are negative. Ubisoft, of course, is regularly voted the most-disliked game company in the world for its actions and words, and the disappointment of the equally hyped Skull and Bones is still fresh in people's minds.

Ubisoft says Star Wars Outlaws will release on Xbox Series X/S, PS5, Amazon Luna, and Ubisoft Connect. The press release does not mention Steam or the Epic Games Store.

Permalink to story:

More always online Ubislop. Guarantee it will sell well initially (because StAr WaRs?!? I gOtTa CoNsOoOm!!1!) then will fall off a cliff with negative reviews when people figure it's another garbage paint by numbers Ubislop game with a star wars skin.

The pricing is wild as well, it has day 1 DLC, if you want the whole game, it costs $109.99…

Big old no from me, maybe in a few years when it’s in a big sale and I fancy a Star Wars game.

The pricing is wild as well, it has day 1 DLC, if you want the whole game, it costs $109.99…

Big old no from me, maybe in a few years when it’s in a big sale and I fancy a Star Wars game.
Ubisoft said we needed to get used to not owning games.

Now I dont know about you, but $110 to rent a mediocre title is WAY off base. My weekend rentals from Family Video were only $7 for 3 days....

The trailer I saw some months back about the game play didn't really impress me at all. It's Ubisoft, so I wouldn't set my hopes too high for the game. I am kind of curious though to see if they can at least make something better than what EA ever did with the franchise in the last decade.

I guess time will tell.

Is the droid not a bigger part of this or something? He's the only mildly cool aspect to this game so far, and they underplayed him to show how boring the MC seems...

Because people are cheap and don’t like spending money? If you don’t like a game or publisher then don’t play it.
No… they spend tons of money - often on garbage… but there are price points that the public eventually starts saying “no” to - that’s when you see them resorting to piracy or simply not buying games.

Hopefully, this game is awesome and it deserves the $110 price tag… but… I’d bet against that.

Looks like I'd buy it for cheap from a key site if I was interested,

but since I now know the fates of ubisoft games they wont see a penny from me(day1 buyer of the crew)

And like with most Ubisoft games , expect this title to eventually not work in a couple of years once they shut down the servers.

I don't support Ubisoft for that reason, they have ZERO understanding of what gaming preservation is.

It is already flop. Network connection for a single player? pretending it is piracy affecting their sales yet again? It is not a piracy, it is a crap games you continue to make, guys.

Felt I needed to chime in again:

I can play every single game I own and love (some already very old) until the day I die and will probably turn one or two (multiplayer yay!) of my machines into offline game boxes at some point so I'll always have that option.

That said, I think convincing the public they are ADHD-type stimulus-starved people that need a never-ending stream of NEW stuff no matter how crappy and samey is one of the greatest commercial successes EVER. Even Microsoft applies this to the way they run and maintain their Windows 11 OS business. Quality's almost dead. 😄

Watching the trailer, it looks like an Assassin's Creed and Far Cry merged game with a Star Wars face on it.

I'll pass...

I played division 2, valhalla, farcry 6 and pandora on ubisoft+. Some of the best games I’ve played in the recent years, no problems with ubisoft+. What is all the fuzz about?

Back