Jobs in Computer Hardware

JohnnyDollar

Hi my name is john. I've always loved computers for as long as i can remember my parents buying the first one we had and i thought they were the coolest things ever. I must say i am no expert on computers and probably only know the basics if not the basics of the basics. I want to become a "tech guy". I have heard the best way to learn is to do it, but seeing as how the rest of my family doesn't really care about how the computer works just that it works at all i haven't really been able to mess around with my computer besides upgrading it every now and then. I wanted to know if there were any specific courses schools or jobs that could prepare me to become one. I live in California so any school in that area would be preferred. Is there in job now that could better teach me how to work with computers without having to know everything, something that could teach me. I have a friend who started working for his friends dad at his tech shop and in exchange for doing most labor work he taught him how to repair and mod computers. I don't really have that oppertunity. I don't really understand software as much as i understand hardware, obviously i need to know both to be able to know the other. can anyone guide me on the right track. Thank You.

Hi, Johnny. I'm a graphic designer and I found that to really get a computer that fit my needs with the budget I have, I built my own computer. After that, I have built computers for my wife, friends, family, and co-workers at my state job. It's not a difficult thing since there are anywhere from eight to twelve components that you assemble including the case itself. Look over the computer parts they sell at places like www.tigerdirect.com and www.directron.com. Check Tiger Direct's barebones kits, particularly the inexpensive ones. I personally stick with ASUS and MSI motherboards and Thermaltake products. Ultra makes very good memory. Check out motherboards and heatsinks that are compatible with AMD and Intel processors. If you have the money (about $250 to $300 if you install Linux afterwards), take the plunge and build a computer. You'll probably enjoy it.

One other very good possibility: look for a Free Geek store in your area. They have a program where if you build six computers for them (they'll teach you how), you get to keep the sixth computer. It's a terrific program. Go to www.freegeek.com. The first one started in Portland, Oregon, and it's spreading across the nation. They take discarded computers and computer parts, rebuild them, install Linux on them, and give them to people and organizations that need them.

While I'm at it, I have to make a correction: The original Free Geek is at www.freegeek.org. I looked in their About Us section and I didn't see one in California. I'm surprised. I thought they'd have a few there. But I would still look at the site.

Back