JPR: Q4 2011 GPU shipments were up 9%, Intel still leading

Jos

Staff

Jon Peddie Research has released its latest report on the graphics market, announcing that combined discrete and integrated GPU shipments in Q4 2011 dropped 10.4 percent sequentially but were up 9 percent compared to the fourth quarter of 2010. This continues a seasonal trend hat has taken shape since the financial crisis of 2008, says JPR, adding that prior to the crash Q4 was a seasonally up quarter.

Slightly more than 124 million graphics chips shipped during Q4 2011. Intel held on to its dominant position thanks to the company's integrated GPU offerings, although its market share went down slightly to 59.1 percent from 60.4 percent in the previous quarter. AMD came in second with 24.8 percent, up sequentially from 23 percent in Q3 2011, while Nvidia went from 16.1 percent to 15.7 percent.

JPR says discrete GPU shipments declined 12 percent from last quarter and were down nearly 3.5 percent compared to last year. That may give Nvidia reason to worry, since the company has moved away from the integrated graphics segment to focus on discrete GPUs. But the company is also pushing hard on the rapidly growing mobile segment with their popular Tegra range of System-on-Chip offerings.

Here are a few more highlights from JPR's press release:

• Intel celebrated its eighth quarter of shipping its Embedded Processor Graphics CPU-EPG, a multi-function design that combines a graphics processor and CPU in the same package. Intel's desktop EPG shipments had a very strong double digit growth while notebooks dropped double digits. Combined with a decrease in overall IGP chipsets, Intel came in for the quarter with a -12.3% drop from Q3.
  • AMD had huge 44.8% desktop double digit growth in its HPU shipments, and even good growth in their desktop IGPs. However, like Intel, its overall quarter results were down due to declining notebook sales. AMD's overall quarter to quarter unit shipments showed a -3.4% drop.
  • Year to year this quarter Intel gained about 7% market share, AMD gained 2.6%, and Nvidia slipped -7% in the overall market partially due to the company withdrawing from the integrated segments.
  • Almost 93.5 million PCs shipped worldwide this quarter, an increase of 1.8% compared to last quarter (based on an average of reports from Dataquest, IDC, and HSI).

Chip image from Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Why is Intel being compared when they are sold regardless of whether dedicated graphics are chosen. I know because I have HD-3000 integrated graphics I don't use in my i7-2600K.

Please tell me I'm looking at this wrong and that integrated graphics are removed from the tally, when purchasing dedicated graphics.

cliffordcooley said:
Why is Intel being compared when they are sold regardless of whether dedicated graphics are chosen. I know because I have HD-3000 integrated graphics I don't use in my i7-2600K.

Please tell me I'm looking at this wrong and that integrated graphics are removed from the tally, when purchasing dedicated graphics.

Yeah, I touched my HD-3000 for a moment just to see how it is. It's actually OK to use as a output but definitely not for gaming purposes. The only real use though is if for some reason I have to RMA my graphics card or go for a period without one, then I'd still be able to use my computer.

As for the topic, yeah I don't see why they're pushing these numbers as if it is something significant. It would probably be the same if they bragged how many Intel CPU coolers they've sold even though they're all bundled with the processor.

I think Intel's IGP must not be categorized among the NVIDIA and AMD's GPUs. Is almost, almost... like comparing a graphic chipset vs a lot more expensive GPU. And anyway, if people build a PC with either NVIDIA or AMD graphics solutions and decides to go with Intel, it will still count like Intel's "graphics card" sale; plus the people who buy any PC without a graphics card. Totally illogical. In that case, AMD's Llano also participate.

But I repeat, graphics inside a processor encapsulate must not be stadisticly counted as graphics card. Is not like people can use a GPU without using a CPU in order to not buy Intel "graphics" and make it count.

sarcasm said:

Yeah, I touched my HD-3000 for a moment just to see how it is. It's actually OK to use as a output but definitely not for gaming purposes. The only real use though is if for some reason I have to RMA my graphics card or go for a period without one, then I'd still be able to use my computer.

That only works if you're using an H series motherboard.

EEatGDL said:
I think Intel's IGP must not be categorized among the NVIDIA and AMD's GPUs. Is almost, almost... like comparing a graphic chipset vs a lot more expensive GPU.

To me, AMD is just a second place GPU company. I refuse to recognize their entire lineup of CPU's. Intel leads year after year, not because their IGP's are the best, but because they do what the majority of customers expect a computer to do, which is play videos, and browser games. Think about it, in an age where mobile games are increasingly on the rise, wtf is an APU going to do? IMO the APU is a niche market... a bad one.

cliffordcooley said:
That only works if you're using an H series motherboard.
Not completely true:
  • Z series also includes graphical support.
  • I have seen H series motherboards that did not include GPU ports.

Thank you for proving my point even further. It's still a very small number of boards that allow such capability.

Back