JPR: Sandy Bridge nabs graphics share from Nvidia, AMD

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Jon Peddie Research has published second quarter graphics statistics that defy its previously modest expectations. In a May report, the firm announced an unusual 10.3% increase in graphics shipments between the fourth quarter of 2010 and the first quarter of 2011. That's much higher than the period's average change of -4%.

That activity prompted a cautious outlook for the second quarter, as the outfit believed vendors might have been stocking up on parts, leading to a lull through the summer months as manufacturers burned their existing inventory. Besides that, the second quarter traditionally sees a dip in GPU sales -- but not this year.

Second quarter shipments have increased 6.3% sequentially -- nearly double the ten-year average of 3.5%. Once again, JPR expressed concern over the hiccup in seasonal trends, suggesting that companies are still hoarding components. If true, it could inevitably lead to unusually weak performance in the third or fourth quarters of 2011.

JPR estimates that 84 million computers shipped worldwide in the second quarter, up 2.4% from the prior quarter. Unsurprisingly, Intel maintained its dominant market share. In fact, chipzilla's shipments grew 19.6% sequentially with a share of 60.7% as its Sandy Bridge processors (which have an IGP) stole shares from AMD and Nvidia.

Vendor Q2 2011 Share Q1 2011 Share Qtr-Qtr Unit Change Qtr-Qtr Share Change
AMD 21.2% 24.7% -7.3% -13.9%
Intel 60.7% 54.7% 19.6% 11.0%
Nvidia 17.5% 19.9% -5.3% -12.1%
Matrox 0.04% 0.0% -8.3% -14.9%
SiS 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
VIA/S3 0.5% 0.7% -20.1% -25.8%
Total 100.0% 100.0% 7.7% 100.0%

Despite having a strong showing earlier this year courtesy of its Fusion chips, AMD's graphics shipments fell 7.3% sequentially as its share fell 13.9% in the second quarter with a slice of 21.2%. Nvidia's cut was even smaller at 17.5%, though its overall second quarter performance was a tad better with shipments dropping 5.3% on-quarter.

Interestingly, Nvidia's discrete graphics business fared quite well in the recently passed quarter with its market share increasing 30% sequentially, and that's largely attributed to design wins in Sandy Bridge-based notebooks. Matrox, SiS, and S3 (who was recently purchased by HTC) accounted for the remaining fraction of a percent.

Permalink to story.

Maybe if AMD didn't manufacture piss poor CPU's this wouldn't happen. Maybe if the company had REAL vision, they would have a CEO. Without fanboys AMD would be in some deep deep ****. I mean come on, how many morons are still waiting for Bulldozer because they actually believe, the 4th times is a charm (Phenom, Phenom II, Athlon II, Llano)? Bobcat is the best they have, which is sad. Bulldozer has gone gold on fail. I'll wait for the next round... again.

Exactly. Fanboys should stop fueling inferior technology. The only reason to buy AMD is if you're poor and can't spend that extra $100 to buy a better card.

ahh im not a AMD fanboi but i got ma hexacore when it was on sale at microcenter. so now i got a AMD its been running fine. i havent had a problem with it

you should really know what your talking about before you post such pap

AMD does manufacture high-end - and very expensive - graphics cards. So if you're unhappy with the sub-$100 ones, you know what to do.

Guest said:
Exactly. Fanboys should stop fueling inferior technology. The only reason to buy AMD is if you're poor and can't spend that extra $100 to buy a better card.

$100 more cash for a same Segment GPU from Nvidia, that perfomrs falirly the same with inferios image quality and more power hungry!! And Who`s the Fan Boy??

Guest said:
Maybe if AMD didn't manufacture piss poor CPU's this wouldn't happen. Maybe if the company had REAL vision, they would have a CEO. Without fanboys AMD would be in some deep deep ****. I mean come on, how many morons are still waiting for Bulldozer because they actually believe, the 4th times is a charm (Phenom, Phenom II, Athlon II, Llano)? Bobcat is the best they have, which is sad. Bulldozer has gone gold on fail. I'll wait for the next round... again.

What a load of crap. Just because AMD doesn't have an expensive top of the line CPU doesn't meant they make 'piss poor cpu's.' Intel on the other hand is overrated. A good portion of the market share if full of lemmings that buy intel just because they don't know anything about the computer they are buying.

Either way.. both companies just want your money so meh.

Just imagine CPU/GPU segment without AMD, a load of overprices rubbish from Intel and Nvidia etc.

Guest said:

You sound like the fanboy to me

I own AMD and Nvidia. Nvidias drivers update easier, generally have more options, and provide more information. AMDs are a PITA at times. Sometimes I can't even get them to update at all on my laptop without completely wiping the old ones off. AMD makes good cards but it would be nice if they released user friendly software. I prefer Nvidia in general but as of late I can't justify the cost/benefit to getting a new video card. Just not enough difference yet. As far as CPUs go, I've been an AMD fanboy for a long time now, but I am faltering. AMD chips just dont provide the balls I need for gaming anymore. Even my Black Editions OC'ed are not near the caliber of Intel's i7's. I hope AMD has a competitive answer soon, or I'm moving on.

Amd cpu's are competitively priced against the performance equivalent (NOT ghz/core equivalent) intel (a bit more performance at cheaper). However, you reach a point where amd doesn't have an equivalent (at the higher end) and if you want that performance, Intel is your only choice.

When it comes to Ati (aka AMD) vs Nvidia video cards they take turns taking away the speed crown from each other.

Guest said:
Amd cpu's are competitively priced against the performance equivalent (NOT ghz/core equivalent) intel (a bit more performance at cheaper). However, you reach a point where amd doesn't have an equivalent (at the higher end) and if you want that performance, Intel is your only choice.

When it comes to Ati (aka AMD) vs Nvidia video cards they take turns taking away the speed crown from each other.

True. Although I prefer Nvidia-based cards you can't go wrong with either brand these days.

Back