Juno turbo question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know for sure. But there are a couple things they can do. They could host a lot of the common sites as 'mirrors' on their servers, lessening the time it takes to access them. They may also (and this is more likely) require you to run some proprietary software that runs in the background and starts loading the links you are likely to click before you click them. So you are still getting data at the same rate, it just isn't sitting idle while you are reading a page like a normal dial up would be.

But as far as it being something like DSL or Cable the answer is no, its still connecting through your 56k modem, and you are still limited to 56k speeds.

Nope, it will increase page load times (maybe). But you are still going to max out at 56kbps/8bits = 7KB/sec for your downloads under perfect conditions. And I think that there are federal regulations saying you can't even connect at a full 56, its like 53.3? or something.

Now there are some compression methods that I think I've heard about (where they download the file first on their servers, compress, then send it to you), but I don't know what type of speed increase it could give you. Almost everything you'd download is already compressed as much as it can be, so I can't imagine it would help too much. I'm sort of talking out of my *** on this part, I really don't know. But I do know that if you could double or triple your download speed over dialup the dialup isps would likely be doing it, or if not we'd have seen articles about how they are ripping you off.

"Turbo" systems frequently compress ALL of the web reply so as to reduce the size
of the data returned and therefore 'trivially' improve response time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back