Just a little bit special.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer thats a few years old. A friend of mine had a computer shop with top-notch equipment laying around and just threw it together for me one day. I do plenty of downloading and all that. Its always ran very well with its 896MB RAM and 1.21G Processor. A few nights ago it started rebooting itself, and after a few times would start rebooting itself while still trying to load Windows. I unhooked the ethernet wire and tried to start Windows, everything went fine untill I plugged the wire back in and opened internet explorer. I figured I just got a virus and tried to reformatt everything and for three nights it would freeze in the middle of loading the boot disc and such. finally it made it thru the install..... all TEN HOURS of it! It went so unbelivably slow and now that windows is installed it takes about 15 min just to get to the welcome screen and another 20 untill I can actually open anything on my desktop. I've changed my RAM chips to any different possiable combination, including each one by itself. I have a seperate back-up hard drive that I've also tried to install Windows on to no avail. I think it maybe my processor. Is there any test I could get to find out or any other ideas that may help? Im usually good at this stuff myself but right now im totally stumped.

check your power supply with a PSU tester or voltmeter. It's probably dead.
Test ram with memtest 86+

What version of Windows are you trying to install? This could be caused by a failing power supply

I've tried to install both XP and ME...... Im running XP on it right now.... I have it sitting next to the comp im using to post here..... What about the powersource goes bad but allowed the computer to still turn on but just run REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY SLOW? Im trying to get memtest 86+ but im not sure which version to d/load.... so im just trying a few different d/ls of it. Im pretty sure its not the RAM tho.... I have 3 different chips and ive tried them all everyway I could, even each one by it self, in all 3 slots i have even. Could it be the processor? If so, how can I fix it? It started making a little noise that I hadn't heard b4 and when I opened my tower it even sounded like it was coming from the processor.

You said that the computer is a "few" years old. What make and model is the motherboard. Have you tried cleaning all the dust out of the case and you might even remove the CPU's heatsink and fan assembly, and clean off the old thermal paste and apply some fresh paste. If you don't know how to do this just ask

Wow, um okay. I cant say I really know how to do remove the heatsink and all that. I can say that with proper instruction I think I can do it. The computer is about 4 or 5 years old, so im sure all that stuff needs to be cleaned. I prolly havent vac'd it out as much as I should but in the past few months I've been keeping up on it. How do I find out what the make and model of my motherboard are?

Ok George&AJ,

Your motherboard model number should be located between 2 PCI sockets nearest the edge of the motherboard... or on a sticker near the printer connector. The model number will tell us who made the board.

A small to medium flat-blade screwdriver is used to release the Fan and Heatsink from the CPU socket. You can use rubbing alcohol to thoroughly clean the old thermal paste from the CPU and from the heatsink. Remember, you will have to buy some new paste.

Good luck :)

asusa7v133_board.jpg

A friend of mine came over and helped me figure out that the smaller fan isint working either..... could that be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back