TechSpot

Just bought a 980, now all I get is a black screen no matter what GPU I use

By childofthetao
Oct 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Just bought a 980, now all I get is a black screen no matter what GPU I use.
    Here are my specs:

Operating System
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 25 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) (SOCKET 0) 30 °C
    Graphics
    L204WT (1680x1050@64Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)
    Storage
    465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (SSD) 28 °C
    119GB SanDisk SDSSDHP128G (SSD) 28 °C
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (SATA) 28 °C
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA) 30 °C
    Optical Drives
    CZYJMF MJW5MF4 SCSI CdRom Device
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-221L
    Audio
    Sound Blaster Z

I had an EVGA 780TI working great. My 980 arrived so I swapped. All I got was a black screen. After taking the card out and putting it back in a few times nothing changed. Giving up I put my 780ti back in and now that just gives me a black screen too.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Edit: My mobo gives the code A0 which is normal so I don't think it detected anything was wrong.

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

If your not getting an error code its probably booting up normally. It maybe defaulting to the integrated card for some reason so I would try plugging onto the on board video when booting to see what happens.

If that is the case you will just have to go into the bios and change your default video card to the PCIE.

3. ChrisTylee

ChrisTylee TS Rookie

Some times when changing your video card you need to reseat your ram. Try that if GhostRyders idea doesnt work

4. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +940

Try reseating the 4 pin CPU plug and the main power cable to the motherboard. If you have a modular power supply then reseat the corresponding cables on that as well.

if the computer turns on but doesn't post(listen for the beep) then it is mostly likely a CPU problem. Since you were playing around in the case I guess you knocked a power cable loose. On my mobo just about everytime I open up the case I have to reseat that effing CPU cable. I have an msi motherboard for my 3770k so it wouldn't surprise me at all if you are having the same problem I was.