Just bought a new graphics card and my screen is just blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyg123

Hi,
i have recently bought a Pc - with slots PCI - PCIX and AGP PRO
and a graphics card- Ge force 8400GS 512mb PNY

from what i can tell they should be compatible... = /
i have got the graphics card and then opened up my pc taken the old one out and placed the new one in its place, when i turn my pc back on its comes up with the normal writing in white... then it goes onto a blank screen just before the Windows loading screen SHOULD come up.
the last thing it says is "Media test failed... Check cable."
i have no clue...
Solutions that i have tried;
i put the old card back in and turned it on fine and put the new graphics cards disk in and installed the drivers with the new card in another slot so it would actually install.
then i took the old one out and put the new one in on its own... Still blank screen.
i also tried it in every slot i have....

ok try this download driver sweeper use it to uninstall the nvidia display drivers then install the newest drivers from the nvidia web site for your card and that should fix it.

You should always first uninstall your old graphics drivers before removing the old card. Then put in the new card and select the appropriate option for primary display adapter from the BIOS (PCI / AGP / PCI-E). Once the system boots into Windows you'll be prompted to install the new drivers. Do so then.

Also, is the 8400GS PCI?

Now my old graphics card isn't working either. any tips??
how am i supposed to download the drivers if im not getting any visual out of my card???

yeah its called Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS PCI 512mb 64 bit

more than likely you have onboard video on that mb just put the vga cable on the onboard load up windows and download the new nvidia drivers then install them and restart the computer then go into the bios and make sure pci is the main video selected and reboot should work fine.

Every motherboard has an onboard graphic card in case the plug in one is damaged. Go to BIOS and select VGA on video which will let you work on windows etc... Then as klepto12 told you download the new drivers and install them and go to BIOS once again and select PCIex for new graphic card.

i think i have updated all the drivers,just need to do that bio's thing,
ill give it a try, and also that driver sweeper doent seem to delete the drivers :/

Just went onto the BIOS and there was nothing that said VGA or video, but there was a "Intergraded devices" so i went on that and the Primary video controller was on AGP so i changed it and the only options were AGP and Auto so i put it on auto and saved, turn pc off. put the new card in, same thing happens...
Media test failed check cable.

Also, this is my Computer...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....32342&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4580wt_1165

And the graphics card
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PNY-NVIDIA-Ge..._TV_Cards_TW?hash=item25573ab8e5#ht_992wt_939

sorry long links :/

I've had a read up on your "new" system
It comes with AGP Pro50 slot at 8x/4x/2x/1x (1.5V). Slot. Which is not all that great (actually pretty bad for any gamer, or user who wants good graphics

You have then bought a PCI only Video card, which is a bit strange since it has AGP support (although again not great)

I would remove all (if by chance you have 2 installed mistakingly) the Video cards
Then with the power out of the box still > Hold down the ON button for 20secs
Then put the single Video card back in, and turn on

If it still does not work then you may have a faulty Video card

Note: The eBay ad stated: "GAMING PC" It is far from that :(

thanks

Hey,
i just want to say thanks for taking the time to check out my crappy pc lol,
you seem to have alot of knowledge on this subject and wanted to know if this card is in fact compatible?
If it is not, would you be able to recommend one that will work and would be able to run a few games smoothly e.g WoW
Thanks
Joe x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back