Just bought new GPU, need help with a little cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

3lephant

I just picked up a new PNY Nvidia 9800GT. I'm getting some significant heat issues. When idling the GPU is at about 55C which isn't too bad, but when I game, even for a few minutes, temperatures jump to about 70C. As this is dangerous for the card, I want to try to bring that down a few degrees. Should I use fan, heat sink, gel? I've never done a cooling project before. Also could somebody reccommend me a good 700W PSU?

As this is dangerous for the card
Not particularly.

Also could somebody reccommend me a good 700W PSU?
Because more power will not only help, but cool it too!!!!

Anyway, you will want to get software like EVGA Precision and manually turn down up fanspeeds since default is normally around 25% - 35% fan speed. Again, 70c isn't really dangerous, it is just about borderline.

If you're really worried about the card overheating, buy an aftermarket cooler and pick up some better thermal compound. There are TONS of aftermarket cooling products for the 8800/9800GT, I'd recommend Zalman brand. They make a solid product. As for the thermal, Arctic Silver, Tuniq TX-2 and OCZ FreeZe are my top choices. All are relatively cheap and they do make a difference. Combine the two solutions and you won't need to worry. Regardless, if you aren't getting any visual anomalies or artifacts, the card is probably fine the way it is.

For a good power supply, check out Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ or Corsair.

Also, one thing I just learnt: good air-flow in your case makes a big difference, and by that I mean inherent design of your casing, and cable management. Hope this helps :)

Okay excellent, I just turned up my fan speed to about 70% and temperature is down to 42C idling and about 60C under load. That's fine right? And are there possible side effects from running the fan at 100% all the time? Aside from added noise.

And to the snide remark about needing a new PSU. I'm replacing a PSU for my parent's computer. So, as a rule of thumb, maybe you should get all of the information before making assumptions.

Okay excellent, I just turned up my fan speed to about 70% and temperature is down to 42C idling and about 60C under load. That's fine right? And are there possible side effects from running the fan at 100% all the time? Aside from added noise.
There shouldn't be any long term damage, you may have to oil the fan sooner than normal, and normally you won't ever oil it. I have better case cooling, and I use EVGA precision's profile hotkey abilities to change my graphics card to lowest possible settings. When I game I turn them higher along with fan speed. The temps are fine.

And to the snide remark about needing a new PSU. I'm replacing a PSU for my parent's computer. So, as a rule of thumb, maybe you should get all of the information before making assumptions.
Probably mine, I thought you ment for your cooling issues. Anyway, you should mention the computer's specs so you don't end up overspending. Most computer's need under 400w from a reliable power supply.

3lephant said:
You don't really need a 700W PSU at all. A good-quality 400-450W one will do fine. The Corsair 400CX and BFG LS-450, along with the Corsair 450VX are among the best choices.

Okay excellent. Quick question kitty but while EVGA precision work for a PNY card?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back