Just bought new PC but power supply too low?

HP Pavilion HPE h8z customizable Desktop PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
• AMD FX-8150 eight-core processor [3.6GHz, 8MB L2/8MB L3 Cache]
• FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] from 6GB
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
• Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
• Norton Internet Security(TM) 2012 - 15 month
• 1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6570 [DVI, HDMI. VGA adapter]
• 300W Power supply
• FREE UPGRADE to Blu-Ray player
• Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0 (front), audio, 2 USB (top rear-facing)
• No TV Tuner
• Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound
• Premium HP keyboard and optical mouse

I just customized this pc and bought it and it said that a Power Supply was availible for $100 extra but it didnt make me choose it. Will my PC be ok? What can this cause?

It will be fine. You wouldn't be able to purchase an incompatible configuration, as HP wouldn't allow it to leave production unless it was okay.

That said, the PSU is weak, and being OEM probably won't be the best quality out there. You'll have a warranty though, so don't worry while it is covered with one.

Out of curiosity, what is your intended usage for the computer you've purchased?

I ran that config through eXtreme PSU calculator and it comes out to 280w at 100% load. So a 300w will be sufficient but it won't leave any room for future upgrades.

The pictures I found of that system showed a Delta power supply. Delta's are very good PSUs so if it has a Delta in it you probably won't have to worry about longevity since Delta overbuilds their PSUs. Most 300w Delta PSUs I've seen could do 400w easily if it wasn't for the over current protection kicking in around 320w or so.

Another point worth making is manufacturers don't wish to plan future upgrades. They'd rather you returned to them and purchased a whole new power supply. Otherwise you'd have a much more powerful one fitted.

It will be fine. You wouldn't be able to purchase an incompatible configuration, as HP wouldn't allow it to leave production unless it was okay.

That said, the PSU is weak, and being OEM probably won't be the best quality out there. You'll have a warranty though, so don't worry while it is covered with one.

Out of curiosity, what is your intended usage for the computer you've purchased?

Thanks for all the replies! Im going to use the PC for everyday computing,Gaming, and some video editing. My current computer is from 2005 and the graphics card i installed 2 years ago the fan burnt out on it. I decided it was time for the upgrade.

280 watts at 100% load is really borderline for that psu . Amd recommends a 400 watt psu with the 6570(I know they overestimate this amount but its because they dont want the psu to destroy your comp by overloading due to a random occurence). I highly suggest upgrading to at least 350 watts if not 400 watts. Both the 350 and 400 watt psu are under $25. If you ever want an upgrade in the future I suggest getting a 500 watt psu which will be around $50. Also, if you dont know how to install a psu, its the easiest part of building a computer in my opinion. Basically if you know how to plug in stuff to outlets you can install a psu.

Also a note to people saying that your covered under warranty, this psu can overload any time, if your still covered then you'll be in luck, if your not then your out of luck, thats why I suggest you pay the $25 just to protect your investment.

280 watts at 100% load is really borderline for that psu . Amd recommends a 400 watt psu with the 6570(I know they overestimate this amount but its because they dont want the psu to destroy your comp by overloading due to a random occurence). I highly suggest upgrading to at least 350 watts if not 400 watts. Both the 350 and 400 watt processors are under $25. If you ever want an upgrade in the future I suggest getting a 500 watt psu which will be around $50. Also, if you dont know how to install a psu, its the easiest part of building a computer in my opinion. Basically if you know how to plug in stuff to outlets you can install a psu.

Also a note to people saying that your covered under warranty, this psu can overload any time, if your still covered then you'll be in luck, if your not then your out of luck, thats why I suggest you pay the $25 just to protect your investment.

The 400w number AMD gives out is to cover the people who bought a $15 "400w" tin box special PSU that probably can't do half its rating.

If the stock 300w in that HP is a Delta like the ones I have seen in all the open case shots of that system on various web sites I wouldn't worry about it since every Delta I have ever seen was more than capable of doing their rated power without issue, and remember it is very rare that every components in the system is at 100% so it is more likely that system would draw around 225-250w under an normal load such as gaming or video editing.

Also replacing the PSU or any major component for that matter in a pre-built system such as an HP or Dell will generally Void your warranty so unless TheyCallMeFibs is planning an upgrade it is probably best to leave the stock PSU in there.

I'm willing to bet that's not worded the way you intended. LOL

Edited out thanks, and I'll go with what others are saying here and according to this benchmark the gddr5 version of the 6570 consumes 199 watts under high load and the ddr3 version is supposed to consume even less than that so you will run fine.

Thanks for all the replies! Im going to use the PC for everyday computing,Gaming, and some video editing. My current computer is from 2005 and the graphics card i installed 2 years ago the fan burnt out on it. I decided it was time for the upgrade.
I'd think that gaming performance might be a disappointing, though that's totally dependent on your expectations.
It's probably fine with that power supply though.

Back