Just built a new comp -- having driver problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

theDUDE124

Hey all, just built a new computer using my old HD, graphics card, and CD drive, installing them onto a new MB with a new PS and fan.

I believe I am now experiencing some driver problems, but I am not sure what the problem is, so if anyone could please help clarify to solve this issue I would be much obliged.

Occasionally receiving the following error during start-up:

"CMOS Checksum Bad. Press F2 to run setup. Press F1 to load default values."

I always choose to load the default values and it seems to start fine.

However occasionally the computer will load with the sound choppy and breaking. On top of that I appear to be having some general stability problems: IE hangs frequently, other applications occasionally hang, sound is choppy and cut-out with certain games.

I've gone through Device Manager and made sure all of my sound and video components had updated drivers. The new MB did come with a driver CD, but I was never prompted for it at any time during Windows XP installation, and I've only installed the sound and video drivers from it.

Am I right in assuming the MB could not operate if it did not have the proper driver to begin with?

How do I make sure all of my drivers are correct and most-recently updated? I went to the manufacturer's website for my graphics card and installed the most recent driver, not sure if it made any difference though.

Also: how do I find out if I am using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows XP? It doesn't list this under "System" in control panel. And I need to know before I install any more drivers as they all specify whether to use 32 or 64-bit versions.

Thanks in advance for you help.

MB:

ASRock K8MF4G-VSTA Motherboard

Do you know how I can find out whether I am using a 32 or 64-bit Windows OS?

To determine whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
* For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
* For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.

if you have xp 32bit go here VIA HyperionPro ver:5.10A

if you have xp 64bit go here VIA HyperionPro ver:5.10A

Thanks man. I've tried installing that driver but unfortunately it says that it is incompatible and does not match. I've since installed the chipset driver from the cd that came with my MB, and I haven't had that "CMOS CHecksum" error since.

However my sound is still cutting out with certain applications. Should I just go to the manufacturer's website for every piece of hardware I have and look for the latest drivers? How do you or others typically go about updating drivers when you are building a new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back