Just built a new PC - cannot boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommytomotom

Hi,

So this is my third build and this has never happened before....

I put the power on and got the "insert disc and press any key" message - so I put in my XP CD and the setup files loaded, but THEN, I got the BSOD.

I took the CD out and restarted the PC but as soon as the setup messages finished, I just got the "-" in the top-left of the screen that you get just before the OS boots. I can't get rid of it, and if I put a CD in the drive, it whirs but nothing happens, the "-" just stays there.

I can get into BIOS but not sure what help that can be...

I'm at wit's end here, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ok change of situation.

I changed the CD drive to primary boot drive and the CD loaded again.

But, I got another blue error page.

At the bottom, it says :

"STOP: 0X0000007E ........................
pci.sys - Address ............................."

The dots are more numbers.

So I can't install XP :(

Lol well seems like I keep fixing a problem and creating a new one, but I just tried a different XP disc (one with the key already in use) and the setup is working, so the disc I bought must be faulty. What happens if I install XP with a disc I've already used? Is it OK as long as I enter a different licence number?

It really depends. If it's volume media and you have a volume key then it should work. If it's not volume media and you're not using a volume key then you should be fine also - as long as you use a different key. I tried mixing it once (don't remember which way) and it gave me problems - until I switched the media out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back