Just built computer but won't connect to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anybody could help me with this it'd be much appreciated:

Just built myself a new compter, everything's all set up and appears to be working fine, but when I turn it on nothing happens monitor-wise. All my fans are on, I can hear the hard drive and cd drive powering on, but all I get from the monitor is a "no connection" screen for a second before it goes into power save mode. I've gotten the monitor to work with other computers no problem, and I've tried both vga and dvi connections with mine with no success. I was (or tried to be) careful putting it together, and as far as I can tell everything's hooked up fine internally. I don't get any beeps at all when I turn on and there's a little green light on both the motherboard and video card, which I take to be a good sign. I've tried running it with the motherboard and whatnot hooked up outside of the case itself with the same result. At this point I'm afraid that something somewhere is just dead, but I'm not really sure if it's the gpu, motherboard or processor. Any input anybody could give me on this would be fantastic. Here's what I've got:

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS

Case: Linkworld 431-06 C.2828 Silver SECC/SGCC. The power supply came with the case, which probably means it's pretty cheap, but it's 500w and power doesn't seem to be my problem here. I've tried to get it to run with only the video card and motherboard hooked up to the power supply with no change, and I recall reading something about the card to the effect that if you try and use it with insufficient power it'll give you some kind of partial display.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core

GPU: XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP (Just one, no SLI, though the motherboard suports it as far as I'm aware, not sure if that matters).

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL-E LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Again, since my next move seems to be getting new gpu/processor/motherboard, I'd appreciate any help I could get.

NVIDIA recommends that you should have at least a 700 watt psu when running the 9000 series of gpu's.
Did you connect the two 6 pin (from the psu) power connectors to the card?? If not, you won't get any signal from the monitor.

Yes, I have both of them plugged in, and I feel reasonably confident that the card's getting power; when I start it up I get a green light on the card itself, whereas trying to run it without the 6-pin plugs gives me a red light, so I get the impression that it's getting power at least.

Is there any way to tell for sure if it's not getting sufficient power? I'd rather be sure that this is the problem before shelling out the cash for a new power supply.

How many amps does the power supply put out on the +12V rail or rails? It should give this info on a sticker on the side of the PSU. Watts alone do not tell you whether a PSU is sufficient for your application. Also, the quality of a PSU can't easily be determined by advertised watts and amps alone.

Ok, so thanks for the help, but I solved the problem and as it happens the issue wasn't with the hardware at all, but more with me being a *******. I finally thought to check the processor and as it turns out, I didn't have it properly mounted. Boy do I feel sheepish. So I appreciate the help anyways guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back