Just for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

This is not a real thread for help.

Guys, I need some help.

I just bought a Core i7 920 to go with my Asus Rampage II (its a sweet board) from Newegg. I don't know anything about computers, but my friend told me that its very easy to install a CPU into a motherboard, so I decided to try to put it in myself.

I got the package sometime ago, but I ran into some problems. The chip looks kinda weird, but it seems to fit onto the socket. When I looked into the manual for some help, it seems like they sent me a wrong manual: there was nothing printed in it!

However, my friend assured me that it would be fine, so I just trusted him, and continued with the installation. I tried installing the big plastic thing that looks like a fan. As there was no (real) manual, I did the best I could and glued it onto the CPU. I used super-glue, since I don't want any problems with anything falling off.

I put in my triple channel memory in, and that went in fine. Not so with the graphics card, I didn't know there was more power lines that needed to go into it. I never got to plug that in, read on and you'd understand.

Then I tried to start the computer up. Then the funniest thing happened! There was a beep and a pop, and nothing else. Nothing came on the monitor, and the fans were not spinning. The shiny lights on my case didn't even come on.

Oh, did I mention that there was this really bad smell? I don't know when the smell came on, might be just the smell of the super glue on the CPU, I know they can get really hot, and I never heated super glue before. I decided to turn it off before I got high on super-glue fumes....

Anyway, I turned everything off, and tried to reinstall everything. At this point, I noticed that something wasn't quite right, and that the plastic thing (that looks like a fan) looks like a half-melted ice cream (that looks like a fan).

Also, the graphics card that I forgot to plug the power in, that seems to be okay, although it popped out of its socket. I think I didn't tighten the screw right.

Anyway, my friend told me that my computer is now fried, and it was my fault that I didn't plug the power into the graphics card.

So I need to ask you guys if its possible for me to get warranty on the graphics card?

So I need to ask you guys if its possible for me to get warranty on the graphics card?
After all that would be this guy's only question? My answer: "Ask your friend." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back