Just formatted and reinstalled Windows XP, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

delicioustrap

lp!)
ok, so i busted out an old computer this morning. realized i forgot the password, but that was ok, i was plannin on formatting and reinstalling windows xp on it anyways. (it was full of viruses)

ok, well i'm not super tech-knowledgeable so bear with me...

i want to update windows to its current status, so i need to get on the internet. my router (verizon fios) is right next to my computer, so i figured i could just plug the yellow-cord-thingy from my router to my computer. so i did, but internet explorer won't connect.

do i need to download something? if so, what exactly (links are nice...) and how do i download it on the other computer if it can't connect to the internet.....

Actually it's difficult to follow you

So the computer with the password, did you need that removed? See here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post633339-2.html

The computer with the Network issue (Is this another computer?)
No you do not need to load any drivers, for ethernet connection (except the computer drivers ofcourse)
But there may be some settings that your ISP require to be inserted
You should call them, and ask if there are any settings to change

Also, it would be nice of you to Edit your original post, then choose "Go Advanced" and then remove the capitals from your title (capitals mean you are yelling)

ok, well i'm typing from a computer that works fine. no problems with this.

i formatted the computer that had the password and reinstalled windows xp. but now i need to know how to connect to the internet on the 'computer that was formatted'.

i have a verizon fios router that's connected to the internet and works fine. and also one of the yellow cords (can't remember what they're called) but they're used for wired connections from the router to a computer. i was thinking i would just use a wired connection for this, but i have no idea if i need a driver or w.e. to get my internet working (the ONLY thing it has on it is whatever the windows xp installation disc put on it.)

Capitals still there

Anyway:
the ONLY thing it has on it is whatever the windows xp installation disc put on it
I see !

Well you need to go to your manufactures support web page and download all the drivers for your motherboard (or computer)
By the way what make and model is it specifically? (the computer specs I mean)

sry, when i edit the title in 'go advanced' it doesn't change the title on the board.

but anyways, it's a dell dimension 2400. is there a page that lists every driver i should download for basic usage on my computer? if so i would very much appreciate a link.

ok, just for clarification.

here are the drivers available for windows xp on my dimension 2400.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

which drivers would you suggest me getting? i think once i can get on the internet i'll go ahead and download every driver i can. but until then, i just need the ones needed to get on the internet.

i'd be using a yellow LAN wire to connect the computer to my router.

and i'm guessing the method of getting the drivers to my computer would be to 'save file' (file being the driver i'm downloading) to a usb flash drive, then open the file in my computer-that-can't-connect and it'll install them?

kimsland said:
I can edit my Title

i can edit the first post's title, but apparently with this forum software it treats the first post's title different than the actual thread title. (see my first post and you'll see that the first post title is in lowercase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back