By Ididmyc600
Jun 27, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. halo71

halo71 Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,289

I think that link is dead.
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,251

Oh Sorry I edited it rather than put the whole link on, I just intended to show the www2 bit of it, save you clicking it, its just advice about a postage strike here in the UK, thats "Mail dispute" to people over the pond....

Regards
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

The "www" in internet addresses is just a hostname like any other. The hostname and subdomains are virtually arbitrary strings of letters, numbers and the dash sign. I can call any computer www2, www3, www666 or even m34n1ng1355-g1bb3r15h if I want to. And if I happen to have access to an internet domain, I can create any hostnames and subdomains under it.

Oh, and it's pretty common to give load-sharing or backup servers numbered suffixes a la www2 ot ftp2 or whatever.
  4. Ididmyc600

Cheers Nodsu I guess that pretty much covers it....

So there isnt a 2nd world wide web after all...

Regards

for those that missed it "m34n1ng1355-g1bb3r15h "= meaningless gibberish"
  5. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

I thought that was just random smashing on the keyboard... kind of like this dklsad90ey70243dfsbacfo 4gbasf8oawbl.

(Don't try decifering that, I seriously just smashed my keyboard there ;))
  6. Ididmyc600

:haha: :haha:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.