Just got a computer today, no sound, says no audio device installed

By rhondadowell
Aug 13, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just recieved a new Toshiba from walmart.com in the mail today. It supposedly has Dolby Sound Room... however I am not getting it to play any thing. Its showing the volume thing in the toolbar as being set to mute... When i click on it it sayd no audio device is installed! I am not that great with computers and have tried everything I can... ANY SUGGESTIONS???
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Yes. Don't mess with it and void the warranty. Take it back to Wal-mart in the morning.
  3. usudor

usudor Newcomer, in training

mistake number 1
  4. Darth_Terra1

Darth_Terra1 Newcomer, in training Posts: 234

Not everyone is tech savvy and know where to go for systems or components, you shouldn't judge just help if you can.

@ the OP i would do as ray says and take it back as it's under warranty.
  5. fastvince

fastvince Newcomer, in training Posts: 52

yes, I agree. It could be any number of things and this should work 'right out of the box'.
    Return it, they will probably send you another one.
  6. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

You could return the computer, but that would take time. I'd check the device manager and see if the sound card driver is installed. If it wasn't installed or if reinstalling the driver didn't help then I'd return the computer.
  7. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

If using XP, simplest check is usually to:

Left Click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and look for Windows Audio and make sure it is set for Automatic.

If it isn't, then Right Click it and Click Properties and change Startup Type to Autonatic.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.