TechSpot

K7 Motherboard (PC Chips FSB266)

By Xtra
Dec 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have this motherboard and need a new cpu. But I just can't decide what to buy, I am looking for a really cheap one. I saw Sempron 2500+, 1.75 GHz, 333 MHz FSB, Socket A Processor-In-A-Box.

Will this CPU work with the motherboard I have?

Motherboard I have:
    http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=235&MenuID=24&LanID=2

Actually the question is, if I buy that Sempron Socket A processor which has 333 Mhz FSB, will it work with this pcchips mainboard which says supports 266 FSB? What would be the result if I would try to install the cpu on this board?

Thanx
  2. GotB

GotB TS Rookie

Hmm... if you had an Asrock K8 (like me) I would say get a Sempron 2600+ or better.

In all honesty, I've no idea what would happen. You could either expect sparks to fly (always fun to watch, but never with a new CPU) or the system to refuse to boot up completely.

That's all I really can say, sorry man =/
  3. Handyman

Handyman TS Rookie

It will work but you need to get the latest BIOS from PcChips if you want to get a Sempron. Also your maximum FSB is 330 Mhz(2*165 if i'm correct). Therefore you will not be able to overclock.

What CPU do you have now??? If it's an Athlon XP with a 266 bus just overclock it. My previous system had a pcchips mobo with an Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.9GHZ. Worked like a charm.
  4. David Alexandru

David Alexandru TS Rookie Posts: 43

get a gigabyte....or a asus...it's much better and you don't have to pay a lot of $$
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.