TechSpot

K7 Motherboard (PC Chips FSB266)

By Xtra
Dec 29, 2005
  1. I have this motherboard and need a new cpu. But I just can't decide what to buy, I am looking for a really cheap one. I saw Sempron 2500+, 1.75 GHz, 333 MHz FSB, Socket A Processor-In-A-Box.

Will this CPU work with the motherboard I have?

Motherboard I have:
    http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=235&MenuID=24&LanID=2

Actually the question is, if I buy that Sempron Socket A processor which has 333 Mhz FSB, will it work with this pcchips mainboard which says supports 266 FSB? What would be the result if I would try to install the cpu on this board?

Thanx

2. GotB

GotB TS Rookie

Hmm... if you had an Asrock K8 (like me) I would say get a Sempron 2600+ or better.

In all honesty, I've no idea what would happen. You could either expect sparks to fly (always fun to watch, but never with a new CPU) or the system to refuse to boot up completely.

That's all I really can say, sorry man =/

3. Handyman

Handyman TS Rookie

It will work but you need to get the latest BIOS from PcChips if you want to get a Sempron. Also your maximum FSB is 330 Mhz(2*165 if i'm correct). Therefore you will not be able to overclock.

What CPU do you have now??? If it's an Athlon XP with a 266 bus just overclock it. My previous system had a pcchips mobo with an Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.9GHZ. Worked like a charm.

4. David Alexandru

David Alexandru TS Rookie Posts: 24

get a gigabyte....or a asus...it's much better and you don't have to pay a lot of $$

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.