Kaser Storage Vault 250GB problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this forum through a good search hoping to help fix my problems.

Around Christmas I got a Kaser Storage Vault 250GB because I needed how much space it offers for the price. I am one of those weird people who wipe their computers every so often just to have the clean feeling.. *I have OCD*

Anyway my computer

I have a Dell Dimension L700CXE
Running Windows XP, service pack 2
512 MB Ram
700 MHz processor
USB 2.0 PCI Cards I installed myself
111GB Hard Drive (actually 120 but the computer only says 111)

so on so on.

Anyway I've had this problem since I got the Kaser external hard drive. I installed the drives like normal everything worked just fine... The Kaser hard drive boots up fine.. and I try to send my files... about 95% of the time the blue LED light on the back of the drive freezes up and the drive stops doing anything and reboots on the system.
I just use the LED light for a reference because I can see it on my wall.. it's flashes constantly when transferring files correctly... then when it has a problem the light stops flashing and then the files transfer stops, says it can't be completed and such.

I have the same problem when getting files onto or off the Kaser Storage Vault.

At this point I'm just really really annoyed. Kaser never responds to emails about the drive with anything relevant to help me with.

Can anyone here think of anything that might be causing the problem.. or any way to fix it.

I really just want to be able to get my files on and off without having problems all the time.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I guess I should be a tiny bit more specific. Usually with the error I get a pop up with something along the lines of " Device cannot perform this action because of an I/O device error."

Sometimes it doesn't pop up but most times it does.

Well I don't really have a choice with my computer.. that's as high as it goes.

I've used other external hard drives before.. one being a 300GB and I never had any problems... yet I get this Kaser and I have problems.

Is there any way to get it to work with my current settings because I can't do anything about them short of getting a new computer and I don't have the money right now.

You might eliminate some of the processes that are active... concurrently running programs and such. So work first on reducing the number of processes running. Do a Gurgle search to discover how.
You have 512 MB of memory that is also supplying some memory for video, and some for the USB card you installed. Then Windows XP SP2, with updates, continues to encroach as additional updates are installed. If you stop some processes from automatically running, you will likely free up enough memory for some of these things to work.
Look into your page file memory. You may be able to adjust that. You now have two types of memory; random access memory (RAM) and virtual memory, or the page file. The page file is created during the Windows XP installation and resides on the hard drive. Page files are measured in megabytes. The size of the page file is based on how much RAM is installed in the computer. By default, XP creates a page file which is 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM and places it on the hard drive where XP is installed. Other than plugging the RAM into the motherboard, there is little than can be done to alter its performance characteristics. The page file is a different story. Because it's located on a hard drive, it's subject to a number of factors that can hinder its performance, and you need to understand what they are.
Do some Gurgle searches for more information.
There can be one such file in each disk partition, so you have the possibility of at least two... one on your hard drive, and one on your external drive.. The location and size of the page file is configured in SystemProperties, Advanced, Performance (click the Settings button).
You can make the page file 1.5 times the amount of installed memory. There is no single answer to this question, because it depends on the amount of installed RAM and how much virtual memory that workload requires. If there is no other information available, the normal recommendation of 1.5 times the amount of RAM in the computer is a good place to start. In theory, disk space is usually plentiful, so having a large pagefile (e.g. 1.5 times the installed RAM) does not cause a problem and eliminates the need to fuss over how large to make it. .
I have not tried this with an external hard drive in the loop, and your page file may be at maximum size already... but if you can add another on the external drive...
To change the size of the virtual memory paging file, you must
1. Open System in Control Panel.
2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3. In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Virtual memory, click Change.
5. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
6. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.
But do NOT delete the paging file altogether, or your computer will not run.
Be advixed that to perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. If the computer is joined to a domain, members of the Domain Admins group might be able to perform this procedure. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure.

To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

Good luck. Let us know if you try this, and if it works because I have not tried anything like this with the problem you describe.

To open System from a command line as an administrator, type:

runas /user:computername\Administrator "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL sysdm.cpl"

* To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System managed size.
* For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system. You should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.
* To delete a paging file, set both initial size and maximum size to zero, or c

I'll probably try this after I wipe my computer.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before... but I actually figured out a way to get the files to and from the drive without problem.. just I know not many people would try it.
I only thought of it because I take things apart a lot.

I was sitting here staring at the drive and I was just thinking.. it's a normal hard drive.. just in a case and with the attachment to make it have the power slot and the USB slot.. so I opened it up, unattached the stuff and then cracked open my computer and hooked it in as a slave drive so I could just drag and drop everything. I didn't have any problems at all.
Bit unorthodox but it worked for me.

After I wipe my computer and get the files off easily with my unorthodox method then I shall put the drive back in it's case and try the above method to see if that works then I shall get back to you all.

I'd like to get a new computer to avoid all the hassle with this drive, I just can't afford it right now even though I could get a better computer for at least 100$. The joys of technology problems and limited funds ><;

Thank you for all the help though. At least I know why it doesn't like to transfer as a USB drive now. I also now know I can use it as an internal drive. Just with the small dimension I have the computer has to sit cracked open when I have it in ><;

my kaser screws up too

My Mac OS X 9(EMac) crashed and I had to unplug my kaser storage device without removing it from the system. My computer doesn't read it now, nor does it work with a PC, but the light still goes on. I even tried different cords but I can't use any of the files on it now. How do I get them to function again?

I know this probably doesnt help with actually solving the problem, but there seems to be a problem with the onboard (in the enclosure) circuitboard, allowing it to properly send all the signals. One way to see if this is the problem is have a friend (ask permission first) lend you their WD or Maxtor external drive and do the same except hook your HD into the enclosure and see if you get the same problem.

To Matt , the only thing I can think of is that the failure may have either corrupted or wiped the data.. You could always try dismantling the exterior case and unplugging it from the circuit board and the hook it internally like I did. I only do it when I need to switch over files or get files from the drive. Either way if you can't read the files on the drive when it's hooked up internally then the drive was probably messed up with the crash of the other computer.

Guitto - Here in the coming months I should be getting a new computer.. (finally) it will be a ton faster and so I hope that the drive will work with just the usb cable. If not I don't really have a problem hooking up the drive internally for a while to transfer things seeing as I use it as a back up rather than a daily place for things.

I didn't know that the circuit board could have been a cause for the drive not connecting to my computer properly. At some point when I have more funds, and a new computer to go along with it, I will eventually buy a higher end external drive with a lot more memory.

So my problem is solved now I guess... for anyone else having problems I suggest the taking it apart to hook it internally. If you aren't afraid to take things apart that is.

Hi everyone,
had a similar problem with my kaser storage vault. My mac crashed during a transfer and my vault is no longer recognized by my computer. When I hook it up, the hard drive seems to make all the normal sounding noises but will not appear in my finder.
When I hook the hard drive to my other computer a pc, it works fine and all the data is still there.
Could someone help me out please?
I also im not too savy about dismantling the machine and would prefer to avoid doing so.
Thanks.

Howdy, everyone...

I've had a problem with my Kaser 250GB External Drive as well. I accidentally bumped it last Friday and now my pc can no longer detect it, unlike the past 6 months of using it. What I wish to know is where can I find a place that repairs or rips files to another drive? As I'm having problems with my pc I ported 99% of my data files (images, documents, music) into said Kaser drive and now how I regret of doing just that. With what's happening, I couldn't sit still... knowing that, at any given time, all that I have transferred to this product will end inaccessible to me. I consider those files as 80% irreplaceable, so I'm like in a fix.

My pc is as follows:
Compaq Presario SR1810NX with AMD Sempron 3200++
1500MB RAM
100GB HD
Lite-On CD/DVD Combo Drive
HP 740b 16X DVD+RW
On-board audio/video chips

I bought the Kaser ED last April and it worked fine up till now. It's its affordable price that sold me to get it in the first place but now, this happens! Your thoughts on this are highly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back