TechSpot

Kaspersky uncovers five-year cyber espionage campaign, Red October

By Matthew
Jan 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Kaspersky has uncovered an advanced cyber espionage network that rivals the sophistication of last year's infamous Flame malware but is perhaps more devious, as each attack is handcrafted for its victim to help ensure its success. Referred to as Operation...

Read more

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 364   +40

Considering China is one of the only larger countries without any know infections, it's not surprising that the attacks could be from China.

PC nerd likes this.
  3. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

Anyone understand how Operation Red October becomes "Rocra"?

Unless it's from the Russian words...

4. Alvaro

Alvaro TS Rookie Posts: 41   +8

It probably is, because it was Kaspersky who named it.

5. Its Canada and China behind all the attacks.

PC nerd likes this.
  6. @Win7Dev

Is it a case of no attacks or no data given?

7. If you were running this Op, and knew sooner or later, it would be detected and traces or attempts to trace back the data/info to its collection points, not necessarily the Mother-ship Owner/Creator, wouldn't you integrate additional layers of OpSec? Collect data from unimportant targets, low, mid and high value targets, countries in which there are actual targets, countries that are false targets, and so on across the range of variables, industry types, geo-pollitical, leanings, etc. Because China, Canada, Mexico, Norway, etc., don't have identified points of infiltration or successful infiltration, who can say they are or are not the Op runner?

8. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,921   +565

The funny thing, when discoveries of this magnitude are made, you can't help thinking about the possible involvement of the company that found it, perhaps just screaming for public attention to boost their antivirus sales :)

Much like all those conspiracy theories :)

9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

Richard Wad likes this.
  10. Since the scheme describing the operation is (C) Kaspersky Lab since 1997, it is obvious that Kasperksy is behind this, since 1997.

And no, Roccra is no a Russian word. Not Chinese either.

11. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +77

Nuke china.. just get it over with and lets move on.

12. Those damn Canucks!

[​IMG]

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,684   +60

In other news the file cabinet producing company cabco's stock prices jumped up 100 points!

14. @VitalyT:
    Are you telling us your stereotype of Russian people or what? If it is discovered by American anti-virus, I am sure you wouldn't say that.

15. havok585

havok585 TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +19

Get back to sleep, u bad child.

16. Early man finds rock and throws at another, then comes retaliation; Man discovers war.
    Man creates castle, another creates catapult; Man continues war.
    Man creates computer network, another creates malware; Man continues war
    Seems to be a theme going on here...

Conger88 likes this.
  17. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

More then likely it IS China. They have the drive and desire to become a world power once again. It stands to reason that China would be behind the attacks.

18. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 878   +230

During one of my 90 hour internships for my A.O.S. Degree in IT, I worked at a place called Jeffs Repair service in Webster, New York and one of issues that came up all the time was college students and nasty malware on thier machines, mostly laptops. Many times we would just run the scan of every AntiVirus out there just to see how many it found. AVG, Avast, Norton, McAfee etc etc we tried them all and time after time Kaspersky picked up and cleaned so much more then the others it was almost comical.
    That was in 2006, since then its been the Anti-Virus I recommend to people I like and it looks like Kaspersky is still one of the very best Anti-Virus programs out there.

19. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 355   +57

Has to be those Canadians, I knew you couldn't trust their over the top niceness, it was all a trick!!!

20. Why not UK? with help from romania.:)

21. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 326   +38

I love how the UK isn't on there.

Maybe they know there's **** all worth stealing here?

22. And where the hell is Poland on this map ?!!!

23. Proof that Canadadian Government & Military are too pathetic to target. Thanks Harper, you even managed to fk that up, somehow. Gawd your pathetic!

24. I also think Romania did it!

25. Richard Wad

Richard Wad TS Rookie

Perhaps its time to consider a reverse mortgage from AEG?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.