Kaspersky: we need an Internet Interpol

Emil

Staff

Yevgeny Kaspersky recently spoke at the Australian Computer Emergency Response Team (AusCERT) 2011 conference, which takes place between May 15, 2011 and May 20, 2011. He said the last five years were the "Golden Age" of cybercrime, with the criminal activity now ranking second only to drug trafficking as the most significant criminal activity. As a result, Kaspersky argues we need an "Internet Interpol" and better cooperation between international law enforcement agencies.

"Cybercrime is integrated into the computer world," Kaspersky said according to CIO. "It's like if you are in Australia, sharks are integrated into the beautiful ocean. Some cybercriminals from non English-speaking countries don't release malware in their own country because they don't want police to connect them to it."

Kaspersky believes one of the biggest reasons that cybercrime was proving difficult to fight is because there is a lack of cooperation between international anti-cybercriminal police forces. In addition to having police agencies investigate cybercrime, an Internet Interpol should be established. This is not a new idea, but Kaspersky noted that almost nothing has happened in the last decade since it was first suggested.

He also mentioned that "Internet passports" and having an "online ID" would help fight cybercrime. An online identification could help stop criminals engaging in identity theft by searching online for scanned passport documents.

Yevgeny co-founded the Kaspersky Lab, a privately held international company that produces antivirus and other computer security products, in 1997. Excluding the energy sector, Kaspersky Lab is considered one of Russia's few international business success stories. The company makes excellent security software and I have personally recommended some of its products a few times.

Last month, Kaspersky was personally affected by the criminal activity his company helps fight. His son, Ivan Kaspersky, was kidnapped and the abductors demanded a ransom. Ivan was released three days later.

Permalink to story.

Are they not? Ask people whose kids are still getting infected with Polio because i) no access to vaccination ii) or denied vaccination due to any reason.

I am not sure his idea of creating another layer of 'security' agency would be much helpful.

I too would appreciate links to any facts that support your implied opinion that vaccinations are not helping people r3dp.

I actually like Kaspersky products, but I am unsure if removing anonymity is just a natural step forward or an unnecessary infringement of privacy. Right now I don't believe we have a secure enough platform to try and hold someone to ant kind of digital passport.

I doubt "Internet passports" or having an "online ID" would actually help (or worse, it could exasperate the problem with an additional types of identity theft being enabled), but better cooperation between the various "international anti-cybercriminal police forces" WOULD in fact help. Some countries actively reject deportation or pressue to arrest suspected criminals who do their shady business outside the country, while cracking down on the same criminal acts happening within their own border, and while initially new open channels on an international scale would be slow to show results, it will in the long run. Whether or not a new "digital Interpol" is necessary is beyond my speculations however.

Okay well let me rephrase my above post, and sorry if I caused to much anger, What I should of said which is of topic now anyway, Bill Gates is promoting Vaccines that are potentially toxic to the human body due to harmful chemicals .e.g formaldehyde, aluminium, thimersol. I can give lots of links to sites and videos of Doctors etc. discrediting vaccines but there is alot out there, so do you own research, and Im not trying to turn this into a massive conspiracy either, I have done my own research and made my own mind up about what is considered safe, for certain illnesses there are lots of alternative treatments that are proven to be more affective than that of vaccinations.

I think Kaspersky's HYPER protective after his son getting abducted for ransom..I completely understand, and agree, with him strengthening the multiple layers of security in HIS OWN SYSTEMS.(Which should trickle down to other security systems as well) Not for thew web@ large. That just creates more places for cyber-criminals to create and find holes. Cooperation between our internet "C.S.I." agencies??? Of course that is an EXTREMELY necessary step. Especially with the speed that distances can be bridged with the World Wide Web

This push for Internet passports or having an online ID seems unnecessary, could be bypassed, kills the fun of the internet, and a thousand other bad reasons. Government issued spyware!

And yes, I have to agree with R3DP3NGUIN in regards to toxins found in many vaccines (aluminium, thimersol, etc). Many people I know (including doctors), surprisingly have done their own research, are aware of this problem and know about alternative treatments (natural where possible). The key is self education :)

Back