Katie Couric to debut as Yahoo's global news anchor on Friday

Shawn Knight

Staff member

High-profile journalist Katie Couric will make her debut with Yahoo this Friday. The announcement came via Tumblr post from Couric alongside an invitation to give readers a window into the lives of presidents, heads of state, celebrities and newsmakers of the moment.

As Yahoo’s global anchor, she will first interview former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. As Couric points out, Bloomberg has never been shy about tacking tough or controversial issues like gun control, smoking and obesity.

It’ll be his first public interview since his appointment to the United Nations’ special envoy for cities and climate change so we can no doubt expect some chatter on that subject. As for the rest of the interview, Couric invited readers to share questions, photos or videos that they’d like to see the former mayor address during the sit-down session.

Yahoo announced the signing of Couric late last year to fill the role of global news anchor. The deal was months in the making and will feature her segments embedded on her Tumblr account as well as directly on Yahoo’s homepage. It’s still unclear how often Couric will publish content for Yahoo nor do we know how long the deal is slated to last.

Couric isn’t the only signee for Yahoo, however, as Marissa Mayer and company have also snagged David Pogue, Matt Bai and Megan Liberman. Pogue launched a tech news site during the Consumer Electronics Show back in January.

Permalink to story.

Apart from Marissa Meyer I've heard of absolutely no one mentioned in the article but then again I'm not an American so it's hardly surprising.

Ah you pulled my first post, ay? Try this one:

Katie Couric was the biggest flop the CBS network ever endured as the anchor of its evening news. They couldn't wait to get rid of her, and did so the day her contract expired.

If anything positive could be said about her tenure as news anchor, it would be that CBS managed to survive it.

She's air headed, vacuous, superficial, and awkwardly flirts with everything wearing a suit and tie, or for that matter, as long as it's male, she's on it.

The fact that Yahoo has taken her onto their staff, is emblematic of the "epic fail", that yahoo is becoming.

Don't believe me? Here's the headline:
CBS’ Evening News Hits Lowest Ratings In Nearly 20 Years As ABC’s World News With Diane Sawyer Gains
And here's a link, (one of many, I'm sure): www.mediaite.com/tv/cbs-evening-news-hits-lowest-ratings-in-nearly-20-years-as-abcs-world-news-with-diane-sawyer-gains/

Last edited:
Ah you pulled my first post, ay? Try this one:

Katie Couric was the biggest flop the CBS network ever endured as the anchor of its evening news. They couldn't wait to get rid of her, and did so the day her contract expired.

If anything positive could be said about her tenure as news anchor, it would be that CBS managed to survive it.

She's air headed, vacuous, superficial, and awkwardly flirts with everything wearing a suit and tie, or for that matter, as long as it's male, she's on it.

The fact that Yahoo has taken her onto their staff, is emblematic of the "epic fail", that yahoo is becoming.

Don't believe me? Here's the headline:
CBS’ Evening News Hits Lowest Ratings In Nearly 20 Years As ABC’s World News With Diane Sawyer Gains
And here's a link, (one of many, I'm sure): www.mediaite.com/tv/cbs-evening-news-hits-lowest-ratings-in-nearly-20-years-as-abcs-world-news-with-diane-sawyer-gains/

So can we safely assume she meets with your approval? :)

Thats fine, still doesn't change that he is fairly well known tech personality. Perhaps because he's from the NYT and on PBS doesn't help his exposure outside of the US, but I'm sure there are plenty of people outside the US that are familiar with him.

Other than good lookin', I partially agree with captaincranky. I only watched her on CBSeveningnews because its the only evening news I watch.:)
Yeah, she's not Tom Brokaw that's for sure.

When you say, "good looking", is that a vote for or against? I think she a fairly ordinary looking middle age woman. (Granted she's obviously not on federal food stamp assistance. Since that would make her way, way, fatter). If you want, "hot in her late forties", I suggest you look toward Nancy Odell (48), or "hot at 60", check out Christie Brinkley. IMO though, all three are probably wearing "Spanks". (Jus' kiddin', I think).

Katie Couric born January 7, 1957 , Christie Brinkley February 2, 1954 (age 60),
Regardless of their age, they're still good looking. Of course thats what make up is for, :) Its a vote for her good looks, but not necessarily her job on the cbsevening news. :)

Katie Couric born January 7, 1957 , Christie Brinkley February 2, 1954 (age 60),
Regardless of their age, they're still good looking. Of course thats what make up is for, :) Its a vote for her good looks, but not necessarily her job on the cbsevening news. :)
Well, we have different taste in women, that's for sure.

You should have read the story in the link I posted.

It stated Couric's ratings were the worst in 20 years, but in reality, those were the worst ratings ever, since the ratings for, "The CBS Evening News", only went back 20 years.

If you or I screwed up a job that bad, we'd be on SSI for the rest of our lives, not inking multimillion dollar contracts with Yahoo.

I have an opinion about the reason for her recent success, but it's already been demonstrated I'm not allowed to post it.

Well, we have different taste in women, that's for sure.

You should have read the story in the link I posted.

It stated Couric's ratings were the worst in 20 years, but in reality, those were the worst ratings ever, since the ratings for, "The CBS Evening News", only went back 20 years.

If you or I screwed up a job that bad, we'd be on SSI for the rest of our lives, not inking multimillion dollar contracts with Yahoo.

I have an opinion about the reason for her recent success, but it's already been demonstrated I'm not allowed to post it.
I did read your link but just because some people didn't care for her reporting, don't mean all did. I watched it for the news, not to gawk at a pretty face/lady.

I did read your link but just because some people didn't care for her reporting, don't mean all did. I watched it for the news, not to gawk at a pretty face/lady.
She was in a position were losses in viewers weren't tolerable, yet she lost them anyway.

You can't turn in "the worst rating in 20 years", and still keep your job.

Please don't post back in ridiculous absolutes. Of course, you can't get a rating of "zero viewers". Some people might turn on CBS, because they're going to watch, "Entertainment Tonight", and it hasn't started yet. Then, finish eating dinner while ignoring "Katie".

It is entirely possible that Couric was hired in the first place, due to concerns of "sexism". "You have no women on network news", was very likely part of her agent's sales pitch.

In any case, Diane Sawyer, (a woman too, but perhaps only vaguely), was beating her in the ratings. And she stinks to high heaven, IMHO.

So, if you're going to install a vacuous bimbo, as your world news anchor, you might as well go with Nancy Odell. She's better looking, and arguably already, "a seasoned reporter".

Since Couric's departure, Scott Pelle has managed to garner an Emmy for his work on the program.

Last edited:
She was wearing a lot of makeup or they digitally enhanced here face when she was doing that CBS Evening News. When she left the things almost gone back to it was. Dan Rather should have stayed he was second to Walter. I've not watch much with Scott Pelley too stiff. Most of the stands-in like John Roberts was great but left for other media news networks.

Apart from Marissa Meyer I've heard of absolutely no one mentioned in the article but then again I'm not an American so it's hardly surprising.
you are not alone. I have heard of Couric and Bloomberg but know SFA about them, never heard of the others and I do live in North America. And I like it this way.

you are not alone. I have heard of Couric and Bloomberg but know SFA about them, never heard of the others and I do live in North America. And I like it this way.
I'll bring you yup to speed. Katie Couric used to be Matt Lauer's co-host in "The Today Show", (NBC),. It's crap,mostly aimed at stay at home, unwed mothers. Couric bolted, with the carrot of evening world news anchor dangled in front of her. At the time, there were no female anchors, and sexual discrimination was an undercurrent of the times. Couric landed the anchor job at, "The CBS Evening News". The program promptly began to hemorrhage viewers. I suppose CBS didn't want to groom another anchor prematurely , or buy out Couric's contract, so they rode the storm out. But, didn't even come close to renewing her contract.

Now, in TV stations across America, news, weather, & traffic, is mostly being done by a cadre of T&A cue card readers. In Philly, there's even a woman who is mildly reminiscent of a Kardashian. Full bodied, raven hair, substantial caboose, and buxom, very buxom.

It would appear the sexual discrimination pendulum has swung the other way, and it's becoming tougher and tougher for a man to gain entry to the field. I think each station has a token effeminate male as well, but don't quote me on that.

I'll repeat, Couric is incompetent , vacuous, and really should not be in the news business, and certainly not at the levels at which she seems to have constant access .

She's too old and dumpy for the "entertainment news" as well, as those jobs are mostly occupied by model types, who just missed the cover of, "Sports Illustrated".

How she keeps managing to "reinvent herself", (without changing one iota), is a mystery to me, and the blame for it falls on the shoulders of the CEO that have, "fallen under her spell". (I guess that's a tasteful way of putting it).

As for former mayor Bloomberg, really, who cares?

"David Bloom" however, was an NBC reporter who died in Iraq: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bloom

Last edited:
I'll bring you yup to speed. Katie Couric used to be Matt Lauer's co-host in "The Today Show", (NBC),. It's crap,mostly aimed at stay at home, unwed mothers. Couric bolted, with the carrot of evening world news anchor dangled in front of her. At the time, there were no female anchors, and sexual discrimination was an undercurrent of the times. Couric landed the anchor job at, "The CBS Evening News". The program promptly began to hemorrhage viewers. I suppose CBS didn't want to groom another anchor prematurely , or buy out Couric's contract, so they rode the storm out. But, didn't even come close to renewing her contract.

Now, in TV stations across America, news, weather, & traffic, is mostly being done by a cadre of T&A cue card readers. In Philly, there's even a woman who is mildly reminiscent of a Kardashian. Full bodied, raven hair, substantial caboose, and buxom, very buxom.

It would appear the sexual discrimination pendulum has swung the other way, and it's becoming tougher and tougher for a man to gain entry to the field. I think each station has a token effeminate male as well, but don't quote me on that.

I'll repeat, Couric is incompetent , vacuous, and really should not be in the news business, and certainly not at the levels at which she seems to have constant access .

She's too old and dumpy for the "entertainment news" as well, as those jobs are mostly occupied by model types, who just missed the cover of, "Sports Illustrated".

How she keeps managing to "reinvent herself", (without changing one iota), is a mystery to me, and the blame for it falls on the shoulders of the CEO that have, "fallen under her spell". (I guess that's a tasteful way of putting it).

As for former mayor Bloomberg, really, who cares?

"David Bloom" however, was an NBC reporter who died in Iraq: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bloom
Have you ever thought of writing biographies? On second thoughts...

Back