TechSpot

Kazaa founders open legal music service called Rdio

By Matthew
Jun 3, 2010
  1. Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis, the founders of Kazaa (as well as Skype and Joost), have unveiled a new (entirely legal) music streaming service – an increasingly crowded market these days. Called Rdio, the startup will charge $5 to $10 per month for unlimited access across PCs and mobile devices. This same premise has long been available in services offered by Microsoft, Rhapsody, Napster and countless others.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,355   +402

Not a big fan of streaming music services. The quality is crap - usually 128bit level which is barely high fidelity. That may work fine when I'm in the gym and there's a lot of background noise going on, but for home listening on a good stereo or PC system, it just doesn't cut it.

3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,074   +84 Staff Member

I assume you can also entirely download tracks given the note about playing music offline. There's no word on audio quality, but I assume it's on par with competing services.

4. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Well that's nothing new. I can do that on my smartphone already with my messenger contacts and I can also do it on my different messengers on my computer. And iTunes is somewhat similar. When I stayed in the college apartments at my college campus, we were all connected to the same network and I could see who else had itunes and I could see what music they had in their playlists. So that feature isn't really groundbreaking.

5. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 846   +11

he he my friend swiped a lot of music from ppl that way, just have to have the right software :D

As far as "Rdio" is concerned I don't see anything ground breaking about it. Personally I use Pandora's free music streaming and am happy with that.

6. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

@Tomsea I guess you never experienced vinyl.

7. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

POW....CLICK.....POP......I certainly have, and with JBL's best tweeters ever. (075 Ring Radiators).

9. The service is actually really good, now that it is officially launched. So far I am really happy with it, with the exception that it doesn't support my Blackberry Curve. I imagine that will change once BB OS6 is out, but who knows.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.