TechSpot

Keeping the ATI Radeon AIW 8500DV

By goodneit
Nov 1, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am looking to upgrade a desktop system I had constructed several years ago. I had chosen the ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 8500DV because it was one of the few graphics cards to offer a complete integrated video capture solution, including analog (TV) video and sound inputs & outputs, as well as an IEEE-1394 firewire input. Back then, putting a firewire port on the AGP bus was innovative, but unfortunately resulted in compatibility issues with a number of commercially available motherboards (which is the reason ATI published a list of tested motherboards in the product FAQ, as well as a jumper to defeat the firewire functionality). As this particular graphics card has suited me well (I do a lot of camcorder-to-PC transfers and don't do much gaming), I would like to continue to keep it in service. To assist with my decision as to which components to upgrade to: Has anyone attempted to install the AIW 8500DV in a relatively modern system? Do all video capture functions work properly? What are the make and model of the motherboard, CPU & sound card?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.